The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley TNT

Manley Labs TNT

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Designed to be a swiss army of mic pre's this delivers a Classy, high quality sound in just about any scenario

21st February 2012

Manley Labs TNT by babel2

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Manley TNT

The Manley TNT is a very versatile, high quality duo of preamps.
Unlike most other dual preamps, the TNT offers 2 completely different preamps in the same box.
Channel One is a Tube pre. This is a very clear pre amp with a sweet, crisp top end that isn't harsh but certainly extended and accentuated. It has smooth mids and lows that are not accentuated. While it has a full bass response it is in no way flubby at all. Unquestionably from the high end school of tube gear where the focus is on clarity and definition, not flubby and pseudo tube tones. A great allrounder pre that is stunning on Vocals.
You can drive the input section to your taste with the separate input and trim controls for a range of saturation and tone. It also has impedance selection (x3) that is VERY useful for tone shaping + Bass Roll off and a Phase switch.

Channel two is a Solid State Pre with more bells and whistles than you can poke a stick at. you really need to check Manley's literature to see what it can do!!
It is by default a very clean, solid and good modern mic pre with full extended, tight lows. I love this one on Bass style instruments (kick, Bass etc)
It is incredibly shapable (A little overwhelmingly so) with a range of 5 input impedances and variable output transformer interaction.
It also has 2 colour modes labeled 70's and 60's. These are not subtle in shaping the sound! The 60s is boosts both bass and treble, giving a scooped sound while the 70's is more midrangey (from memory -its been a while since I've used either). I wish this was implemented more subtly. in all but very conservative settings (input gain at minimum or close to) they both sound like distortion boxes. While this is the stated intention of them and possibly quite useful in some production contexts, If it had been implemented more delicately it would have been far more useful to me. I have had success using these settings on guitar amps though.
These settings don't get much use from me but the clean mode is more than capable and flexible enough without them anyway.

All in all this is a very classy, beautiful sounding piece of gear that can hold its own in any company.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Manley TNT
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search