18th February 2012

Apex Electronics 205 by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Apex 205 Ribbon Microphone

Now I modded the transformer on my pair, and as usual you gain a little better output and high and low frequency extension.
It is not a bad mic stock but the mod is worth it and very easy to do and a search of gearslutz .

OK well maybe its not a good mic stock is much fairer to say, but it has lots of potential

I have found that these mics sound great on elec gtr amps.
A bit noisy for quiet acoustic.
For drums better have a good sounding room the figure 8 picks up alot.
In a good room nice sound for overheads in a small rook it picks up the boxy mids of such an acoustic

All in all for the price and if your not already with a ribbon mic for guitar amp, its a no brainer.

Now I also tightened the ribbon element on both mics and while it is possible to ruin the element these mics are usually out of tension have alot of slack and its easy to tighten them.

APEX 205 Ribbon Microphone Specifications

Type : Large Element Ribbon Microphone
Ribbon Type : Pure aluminum
Dimensions : 2 microns thick, 50mm (L) x 5mm (W)
Polar Pattern : Asymmetrical Figure-8
Sensitivity : -55dB
Frequency Response : 40 to 18,000Hz (+/- 3dB)
Impedance : < 200 Ohms
Recommended Load Impedance : < 1000 Ohms
Max SPL (1% THD @1kHz) : 160dB
Equivalent noise level : 17dB
S/N ratio : 70dB

18th March 2015

Apex Electronics 205 by Dr. Fuse

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Overall: 3

The Apex 205 may be not be the quietest, airiest, or dynamic microphone, but it does provide a pleasant, warm sound with a decent level of detail.

In this test recording, the 205 was placed 4 feet in front of the viola's f-holes, so relatively close miked, into a Marantz PMD671 set at 96kHz, 24-bit. A wash of reverb was added in Audacity to mask musical flaws in the rushed performance (maybe I should post the raw file?), with more being added to the duplicated right channel to simulate stereo.

Can anyone comment on the transformer and/or ribbon upgrades?

6th March 2016

Apex Electronics 205 by philsaudio

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I have two of them.

Out of the box you will need a bit of gain to get the most out of this mic.

When using my Allen and Heath Mix Wizard WZ3 16:2 preamp there was enough gain to use the Apex 205s as drum kit room mics about 4 ' in front of the kit. The 60 dB gain knob on the WZ3 was pretty maxed out but there was enough to send a -12 ish signal out to the computer interface.

• Using the APEX 205 about 18" in front of a Peavey Delta Blues 15 for rock guitar, the Mix Wizard also had sufficient gain.
  • Using the Apex 205 6" from the speaker of the above Peavey Delta Blues 15 for slide and rock guitar I only needed the gain on the WZ3 up to 12'oclock position.
It does much better on the Art Pro MPA II which has and overall gain of 70 dB. You can get plenty of gain to drive a compressor or limiter from quiet sources a few feet away.

I love this mic on the GAP PRE73 DLX. I can get plenty of gain to make a whisper enough to drive the inserted WA76 to full compression. .

The mounting system failed on one, and it hit the carpeted floor 4' below. Even after that they both sound the same. This does not seem to be one of those ribbons that need to be babied, although that would not hurt.

The mounting system can be replaced with a 46-48mm shock mount. Although the blue body is 49.5mm the Apex 205 Ribbon Microphoneshock mount I got on EBAY fits the APEX 205 nicely and it only cost ~$10 shipped. It also does quite well as a shock mount. We were using the APEX 205 to record a fiddler and her foot tapping did an outstanding job driving my subwoofer nuts; so it really needs a shock mount and a HPF.

I was reading the Michael Joly thread on sagging ribbons. He suggests a test to check the ribbon for sagging. The test is to gently turn the mic on its side and listen for a clanging sound in headphones. I was happy to find that both of my Apex 205's pass this test with flying colors.

I can't compare the sound to other ribbons but these mics sound way different from the LDC and SDC and dynamics I have here in the studio. It has great side rejection and takes EQ in the DAW well. For ~100 how can you not try one.

Peace

I recommend it as a first ribbon.

Picture of the broken and not broken factory mounting system.

Picture of the Apex 205 in its new shock mount.

Shock mount side view.

10th August 2016

Apex Electronics 205 by philsaudio

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I have dropped one of mine and today I ran it for 2 hours with phantom power on one of them. Neither of these actions are recommended but according to my unintended experiments neither of these non-recommended actions seemed to damage the microphone in any way whatsoever.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Apex 205 Ribbon Microphone
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search