The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam Dr100

TASCAM DR-100

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great portable recorder

18th February 2012

TASCAM DR-100 by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

I use the dr100 as a field recorder.I don't think the built in mics are worth much, not totally useless mind you but not really necessary when this unit boasts two xlr connectors and phantom power.

I was concerned it might have too much noise , but after some use I found the preamps to be usable they sound good .Sure there is some noise but its not an annoying kind that breaks into the image of the sound.
I found that the actual conversion is really good, a testament to modern ad/da chips and how far they have come.
I owned higher end field recordes from tascams past like the dap1, and unsuprisingly this guy sounds better.

The key for me was would tracks recorded with this stand up in the studio and I can yes the noise is low enough.

However to get a little more out of this unit this guy perfoms mods :
Upgrade your Digital Recorder

I had considered it but after hearing stock performance I was not too worried.
However his basic mod add +5db gain and lower the noise -5db , which could be really useful.
But at any rate so far so good and the dual batteries is great one lion rechargable and one a slot for AA, better still they can be used sequentially so when one dies the other kicks in, very cool.
Also it records to flash media which is the way forward.

All in all if the preamps were not good or the AD was not good I would not have kept this guy but since that is there then you add its other cool features and I'm really pleased.
Now for those looking for classical recording quiet might want to stick with a sound devices etc, but for most music the noise level is acceptable as location recording often puts you in environments noisier then a studio.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Tascam Dr100
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search