The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Euphonix/Avid Artist Mix (formerly MCmix)

EUPHONIX MC MIX

2.9 2.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Eucon controller

15th February 2012

EUPHONIX MC MIX by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3

I do like the MCmix (i bought it when it was Euphonix)

I feel like having real faders, and pans is a good thing.
I do find that they could have given dedicated transport buttons , but they are there with a button press

I wish more DAW's supported eucon which is where this really shines but it also works fine on mackie control protocol.

Its to be noted that i did have to return mine as there was a known error in manufacture that made the surface crack I guess the screws were too tight on the panel.

I find connecting the ethernet is a little wonky on my system but it works the second time i try every time weird.

I will just mention how I don't like how companies support newer os's without having fully made the unit work on previous os's or offer certain features
only for the next os that were possible to backwards implement on the os your still on etc etc

I think the mc control or whatever they now call it would be helpful for taking one off the screen more,
but the mcmix does its job high quality moving faders arming tracks selecting tracks scrolling through tracks.

It has been interesting totry not to end up on the screen with the mouse but I find with just the mcmix it requires discipline to return to the faders as the mcmix doesnt do enough by itself to stop mousing around.

I hear there is a fix for an annoying fader buzz sound for lion but im on loepard...
Kind of hardware but kind of not. some the things I dont like about software
beta-ness bad support or dropped support can affect this hardware so its in a precarious place .

a good workflow helper if you like the feel of faders on your hands like I do
and while it doesn't do as much as it could it does deliver what I need most from it

ps on the ratings it would not let me leave sound quality n/a?

15th February 2012

EUPHONIX MC MIX by johnnybregar

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75

It took me quite a while to get mine up and running. At the end of the day, I have to say that I like it a lot, but it's pretty quirky. There are times when I leave, lock my screen, come back and I've lost network on both my computer and the Avid. I think the ethernet idea is interesting, but in practice, with just one device, they should have offered a USB option --- or wireless. The only solution when things go haywire is a reboot. And sometimes even that gets you in a weird state.

If they could iron out the connectivity issues, this would be a pretty good controller.

They need some work on the rotary knobs. They are not sensitive when you turn them slowly, and thus if you want to make fine adjustments (who doesn't?) you're better off with your mouse.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Euphonix/Avid Artist Mix (formerly MCmix)
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search