The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyerdynamics DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 250 Ohm

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

If you are looking for new headphones for your personal studio. Take a look at the Beyerdynamics DT 770

13th February 2012

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 250 Ohm by avion

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

If you are looking for new headphones for your personal studio.
Take a look at the Beyerdynamics DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm

Closed-back has a reputation for producing "I'm sitting inside a box sound" than open-back variety. Yet there are often advantages to a certain degree of acoustic isolation.
And the bass on this specific model (closed-back) is in my opinion fantastic.

Personally I've never liked the feeling. To be closed entirely out from the outside world when I have headphones on.
But I think Beyer Dynamics DT with their 770 model, found a good balance.
It's still possible to hear the phone ringing, or knock on the door, but still a lower degree of the general background noise.

There may be problems with a colored "midrange" in closed-back headphones, but I do not think that this problem is so pervasive in this particular model as in others, but have to be mentioned.

A little extra pluses:

- Delicious comfort
- Good range (cord) 3 meters.
- Ability to switch between stereo mini jack 1/8 "& 1/4"
- Fine balance insulation
- Exellent for mix and sound monitoring

Studio headphone, dynamic, closed, impedance 250 Ohms,
pressure level 96dB/SPL,
frequency response 5-30.000 Hz,

Overall a nice product and it is hereby recommended.

14th February 2012

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 250 Ohm by Puffer Fish

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I have several pairs of the DT770 closed back headphones and they have become a regular part of tracking for me.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro closed back design is particularly useful when tracking quiet sources to minimize bleed from the headphones looping back through the microphone. Think singer into a sensitive condenser microphone with a loud rock track monitoring through the headphones--closed back headphones make a difference in this sort of setting and the DT 770 design is very good for the task. The Extreme Isolation headphones are the only headphones I have found that are better at isolating the signal, but they do not sound as good and are not as comfortable.

Speaking of comfort, the DT 770 Pro headphones, along with the 880 and 990 Beyerdynamic headphones are the most comfortable cans I have ever had the opportunity to use. It is a great selling point if you have the chance to try some out. I am fairly certain the fabric material can be replaced. The build is solid, as headphones go, just do not keep pulling hard on the cable because like anything else, eventually it will fail.

The DT 770 Pro headphones are $200 cans, and they sound like it. Compare them to headphones costing less, and you will hear better detail, less fatigue, and will simply be more comfortable wearing the DT 770 cans, in my experience. However, with critical listening, the DT 770 headphones reveal a boominess in the lower frequencies that can be distracting over a long session. In short, they out-perform most other headphones, but in no way are a suitable choice for critical mixing when compared to a great set of studio monitors. But as a tool for tracking or comfortable listening of playback, the DT 770 Pro headphones really shine.

10th March 2016

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 250 Ohm by amir30213

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

The Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm is a headphone I love very much. It is the first and only closed back headphone I ever had that sounded really close to an open back headphone. More on that shortly. They are also THE MOST comfortable closed back headphones I ever wore in my life thus far. The ear pads are like pillows on your ears. Yet, the headphone somehow isolates very well. Headphone bleed will not be an issue with these at all. You would seriously have to be blasting these to get that problem.

Lets talk about the build quality for a short minute. These headphones are built very very well. These headphones are built like a tank literally. If you drop these, you can be sure that you will be able to use them immediately after the drop, no problem. I wish the cord was detachable but I do like the cable on it. Every part of this headphone is replaceable. Every single part. No, it isn't very portable. You can't fold them up at all so I suggest you keep these ones at home.

Comfort is EXCELLENT as I said before. The pads feel like sex on your ears. I'm not kidding. The pads are expensive and I can see exactly why that is. The pads are worth it. Many people use these pads for other headphones as well because they are just so great.

What about the sound? The sound is almost excellent. Almost. The bass is very DEEP and very BIG and very POWERFUL and very AWESOME and very CLEAN. The bass doesn't distract the other parts of the spectrum. If you are a bass head, these headphones are for you. If you are a huge huge bass head, get the 80 ohm ones that have even more bass than these ones. The mids are relaxed, slightly recessed but within the realm of flat. That is expected for a headphone with a lot of bass. The treble to me is the most troubling part even though I do like it. If you want to blast your headphones, don't get the 250 ohm. Get the 80 ohm. The 250 ohm is one of those headphones that have to be at the right volume to be pleasant sounding. If you pass that volume, the treble becomes piercing. Other than that, the treble is very detailed which is surprising for a headphone with so much bass.

The 250 ohm headphone was not meant for carrying around on the train. It was meant for mixing/mastering purposes. To me, it fits those purposes very well. With open back headphones, you can't hear all of the bass that you can with a pair of good closed back headphones. So I would recommend these headphones if you are having trouble hearing all of the low end in your mixes. Also pretty good for mixing treble as well. These headphones are within the realm of flat so if you are off the marker with your mix using these headphones, you shouldn't be far off by much. Any extreme issues with your mix will not be due to these headphones. They will be due to YOU and YOUR mixing methods.

GREAT HEADPHONES. GET THEM. PERIOD

-Amir

18th April 2017

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 250 Ohm by amir30213

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Another thing I should mention about these is the soundstage. The soundstage is impressive for a closed back headphone. If you go from listening to a Sony 7506 and switch to these, you will be quite impressed on the 3D sound that these give as opposed to the 2D sound of the 7506 where you really only are able to hear two directions. Left and right.

With these you can hear left, right, up, down, forward, backward...all that jazz.

- Amir

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search