The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Egnater Tweaker 40 112 Combo

Egnater Tweaker-40 112 1x12 40-Watt Tube Combo

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Extremely versatile tone selection makes this a fantastic tool for stage or studio.

9th February 2012

Egnater Tweaker-40 112 1x12 40-Watt Tube Combo by proletarian

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I really needed a versatile tube amp for my recently completed home studio. I was looking for something I could not only use on stage in my own show, but something that a client could use as well. I run a small home studio and I work with many freshman clients. They generally don't have decent gear to record and many times have no idea what their "sound" really is. I needed an amp that could deliver true tube goodness, and give me as many flavors as possible. I took my axe up to the local GC and plugged into the Egnater Tweaker 40 after posing it on social media sites and getting really good feedback from guitarists that I admire and trust. It really blew me away from the get go clean tone. See, the Egnater Tweaker 40 has 2 identical channels. It is a bit awkward at first because most amps have 2 different preamp circuits and we are used to it. This one has several "Tweaker" switches, on the pre side, on the eq side, and on the post side. I touts that the EQ circuit switch labeled, USA, AC, and BRIT can get you something that is similar to a Fender, AC30, and Marshall all in one box. i was skeptical, but it really does have distinctive tonal differences with just that switch alone, not to mention the bright, mid cut, bottom, and gain tweaker switches on each channel.

It is small, but does have an FX loop and external speaker jack to add cabs, and it is ridiculously loud. To have more in a club gig on stage would be a waste of sweat to carry. I think it will take me months to really figure out what it's total capabilities are, but that is a good thing. I have a feeling I will be discovering new tones for some time with this little beast.

There is no verb, FX, modeling, or any other digital bells and whistles....It's ok...I wanted zero A/D processing.

If you want a solid, sweet sounding tube amp..pick one up tomorrow. If you want all in one...get a POD.

The kicker....for an all tube amp with these features...$799.00 at any music store that is a dealer....wow...what a great tool to have in your studio.

Cheers

10th October 2013

Egnater Tweaker-40 112 1x12 40-Watt Tube Combo by Jmoon79

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

Following is a review of the Egnater Rebel 30 head's features, sound quality, and bang for buck.

The Egnater Rebel 30 is a unique amp in that it uses both 6V6 and EL84 tubes. It wasn't enough for Mr. Egnater to give you the option of one or the other, so he added the capability to blend them together for a truly unique sound.

I will say that the sound quality of this amp is amazing, unique, and versatile. It's also quite educational in hearing the true "difference" between EL84s and 6V6s. I think you'll find it to be quite subtle, yet useful all the same.

Regarding the features. This amp allows for channel-independent settings of most all of its features. The wattage knob would lead you to believe that you can run it anywhere between 1 and 30 watts, on either channel. And you can, but it works in conjunction with the tube mix feature. In order to run a full 30 watts, you must use either full on 6v6, or full on el84. If you blend them right in the middle, you're running 15 watts at max setting on either channel. I will also state that it is pretty loud at any setting.

A truly welcome feature is the direct out xlr connection on the back that allows you to "quiet" record at full tube saturation, albeit minus the natural cab sound.

EQ: On channel one, there are only bass and treble controls. On channel two, there are bass, mid, and treble. In addition to the standard controls, there are "Tight" and "Bright" toggles to further shape your tone on both channels. I did not find the lack of a mid control on channel one to be a big issue. The "Tight" control attenuates the low end and really helps clean up the mud in higher gain settings. The "Bright" setting functions like most other bright inputs on your standard amp, boosting the high end slightly.

The amp comes with a cover, or for the head, a pretty sweet carrying case. Also included is a footswitch.

The reverb knobs are located on the back panel, which is a gripe. There is one for each channel. Also, the reverb will distort at high volumes, and requires a mod to fix. The reverb is digital, the quality of which is not very pleasing to this writer.

There is an effects loop which is best suited to rack mounted gear, not pedals.

There are speaker extension 1/4" outs with a switch for impedance loads.

There is even a switch for Mains voltage, in case you travel overseas with it.

Bang for buck: Let me preface what I am about to say with this statement:
I absolutely loved the Egnater amplifier, and it's sound, minus the reverb. I was heartbroken when I made the decision to return it.

I believe this to be a truly innovative design, that is built with terrible parts, and awful QC. Within 3 days of owning the amp, and transporting it only from the store to my home, the input jack fell out in my hand. Upon inspecting it, this jack is of the cheapest quality I have ever seen on an amp in this price range. Your signal path is only as strong as its weakest link, and right out of the chute, it's weak. I put the jack back in, and it would not seat properly.

I opened the chassis later because one of the power tubes was dying. I understand fully, and include in my statement that this is a tube problem, and likely not an amp problem. In fact, the warranty covers tubes. But I looked at the tube, and no shock here, they are cheap tubes. Along with every other component inside the amplifier.

I give the lowest possible rating for bang for buck, and honestly think this amp head should cost no more than about $300. I felt that I could not trust the amp to stand up to the road, even in small, "put it in the truck and go" type minimal gigging scenarios.

That being said, I'm terribly upset that I could not justify keeping this amplifier because the sound is truly unique and versatile.

Regular questions:

Is it loud enough to gig with? Yes, for small to medium gigs.

Versatility of tone? You can get a myriad of useful tones from this amp, all of which are high quality.

Build quality? Abysmal, IMHO. Sadly.

I do know a few people that gig with these, and love them. But of the half dozen or so people I know, every one of them has had their amp in the shop for major problems within a 2 year period at most, some much, much more frequently.

I really wish Mr. Egnater would have built these properly, because his contribution to the amp world would have been spectacular, if they were reliable.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Egnater Tweaker 40 112 Combo
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search