The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apex 460 tube microphone (w/tube upgrade)

Apex Electronics 460

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The Apex 460 tube microphone is a killer deal for under $200 but, as many of us have found, can be greatly improved with a few upgrades.

8th February 2012

Apex Electronics 460 by allanploth

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I'm giving the stock Apex 460 only 6 out of 10 because it is not a world-class microphone by any stretch of the imagination. But with an upgrade here or there, you will have yourself a very useful mic at a surprisingly low price.

I switched out the stock tube with a NOS Jan GE 6072a (12AT7, I believe) and instantly noticed a huge improvement in the mic's overall character, especially in the midrange. This was after switching the power supply on and immediately hitting 'record' (M-audio Fast Track Pro mic preamp/RNLA opto compressor/cubase 6). I left the mic on overnight and recorded another pass or two of my voice, then listened to the results. Yes, a very distinct and altogether favorable improvement.

I then used a NOS Mullard 12AT7 (a really fine example, BTW) and liked the sound, but surprisingly (or perhaps not so) didn't like it as much as the Jan GE. The Mullard was gritty in a nice way, with really pleasant high end, but the Jan GE had a clarity and thickness that I'm guessing will be more useful when fitting the recorded sound into a dense mix.

Apparently these mics get noticeably better (softer, more U47-ish high end, I'm told) once again when a K47-type element is put in place of the stock element. At just around $200, I'm going to give it a shot someday soon, but in the meantime I shall log some hours with the mic as is, containing the Jan GE tube.

Thumbs up, no doubt, for this affordable mic. Decently built and quiet, it will be money well spent if you invest in one.

13th February 2012

Apex Electronics 460 by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5

I have used a stock 460 as well as the mk2 m16 telefunken (modded version)

The 460 is for the money a workable mic but not really something I would reach for with more options.
It is chinese and the capsules in my experience hearing a few are very bright .The stock transformers seem phasey and lack lows and delicate highs.

Now as a platform to upgrade this mic gets a different rating there are several people selling modded versions if you dont want to do it yourself.

These are worth checking out. for example
APEX 460 to C12 MICROPHONE MOD

I do think once modded modded xformer NOS tube etc this mic can be good change the capsule well now you have dropped some coin but could still be worth it and very good sounding

So while you can get a decent mic stock the more you mod it the more I think the high end value starts to emerge for a fully modded 460 @ current price of about 6-800 not much made and sold new can compete at the price point.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Apex 460 tube microphone (w/tube upgrade)
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search