The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dw Fearn VT2

D.W. Fearn VT-2

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Pros: Best Preamp I've used Cons: Not inexpensive

6th February 2012

D.W. Fearn VT-2 by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Dw Fearn VT2

I have owned the VT2 for over a decade.

I cannot praise it enough.

At lower gain settings the pre is extremely clean, but euphonic.
When driven harder it can sound lovely but I personally feel this pre is not an effects box at all.

It provides a tremendous sense of space which I have not experienced to be surpassed by any other pre amp I've used.

The high frequency detail is microscopic never hyped but in no way dull.
So a 3d sound spectrally balanced.
For vocals and acoustic instruments unrivaled for what it does.
For overheads I would definitely engage the pads unless you want to hit the input transformers, but beware if your room acoustics are not something you want highlighted this pre will reveal them.
I also own the Lp1 which is a 40db line pad for use with the VT2 you can bring anything thru the VT2 for its qualities.
Synths and basses have fared well with this treatment.

The giant 4RU size allows proper heat dissapation and over more then a decade my 6072 tubes inside the VT2 are still quiet and sound great, a testament indeed.
I hear now Doug Fearn the incredibly friendly and cool guy who makes these is now using hand selected russian tubes as the NOS 6072's dried up :(

I can't comment on their quality though Doug is confident and stands behind what he's getting out of the selected russian tubes so thats a pretty good endorsement.

Yes it is an expensive pre. I still feel in this case after all these years it has been worth every penny.
Once I was a few months out of the generous 5 year warranty and a volume knob went.
Doug fixed it no charge and said to me "I just don't want any of these guys out there that don't sound and work their best"
Love it!!!!
My favorite pre

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Dw Fearn VT2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search