The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line 6 UX2
3.5 3.5 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

USB Audio Interface with guitar-oriented effects.

2nd February 2012

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 by npulsipher

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.25
Line 6 UX2

This was my first interface. I had just started to get interested in recording, so walked into guitar center, and this is what they sold me.

It was new and exciting for about 2 months, then my skills, and my ears developed enough to realize that it was a piece of junk. Then I had to deal with it until I could afford something else.

Sound quality - Unless you're recording electric guitar, it sounds horrible. The preamps are load, they give off a constant hiss, but the conversion is worse. If the preamps are set lower than 12 o' clock you get all sorts of digital noise. So you have to turn up the pres which makes the hissing loader. The only reason I gave it a 5 was because I was able to get some halfway decent guitar tones out of it. More on that later

Ease of use - It is pretty simple to use. Gearbox/Pod Studio is straightforward.

Features - Nothing on the device it's self is worthwhile. Gearbox/Pod Studio is kinda nice to have since it's so versatile. You can be as creative as you want with it and get some interesting tones. I'm not much of a guitarist, but I have nothing against the work Line 6 does in tone modeling. However I do think they should just stick to that and stop trying to make everything else too (Apparently they make loudspeakers now )

Bang for buck - I really wish there was a zero.

Conclusion:
If you're just starting out, and you're looking for something fairly basic just to get you started, this will work for you... for about 2 or 3 months. Then you'll realize how terrible it is and then have to go spend money on something else. My advice, buy something else, ANYTHING ELSE, first and save yourself 200 bucks.

Nick

27th July 2013

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 by ZEF

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Line 6 UX2

I have had several interfaces the most expensive being a EMU1820, the most versatile the TASCAM 1641 for doing bands, and several others tried. Numerous other recording devices reel to reels to Portastudios. The Line 6 UX2 is different than all of them. For me this is the most enjoyable unit of all, mainly due to the Gearbox software. Ive had this about 2 years, as a second "songwriter' interface.

Gearbox is a colorful, attractive interface, easy to use guitar, Bass Guitar with selections of amps, comps, eq, noise gates etc.. sm57 or md421 sims off center front, etc... The real surprise was the Vocal Mic software that includes a selection of Mic PreAmps using Neve, API, UA and then all the reverbs and echos, compressors of several flavors LA2A, and EQ and a Noise Gates and more.

OPERATION: This is 2013 and mine is a used one, so the computer power is probably more than this UX2 needs. It operates flawlessly with USB 2.0. I use it with the Reaper DAW. It has 2qty XLR in's, the preamps are not loud at 20db, so Dynamics require full blast and noise can be heard, however, with a Condensor Mic/ higher output mic , this is not an issue. The mic preamps are very common to all the other interfaces Ive owned. 48v ready. The Gearbox Vocal Mic Preamps and array of Mic Effects make up any volume needed. All the settings can then be easily Saved, so a Warm & Clean Mic setup can be stored, or a Blues Guitar Cmp can be saved for recall....its very cool.

The Guitar 1/4 inputs have a pad the back has Line IN for drum machine, keyboards or external/outboard preamps going straight into the Convertor (AK 4528) works well. Monitor outs and Headphone out is standard 1/4.

I gave it very high marks as a "Songwriter's Interface".
UX2 works well without any outboard gear, without buying softwares and even without using the DAW effects. The other unique feature is the software doesnt use the CPU power, it is there going into the DAW as it would be if you recorded with pedals, or a vocal channel strip with eq and comp "live".

Attached Thumbnails
Line 6 UX2-ux2.png  
30th July 2013

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 by bwgray

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Line 6 UX2

This was an interface I purchased, to get into the digital recording domain, as Guitar and vox are my primary instruments.

The UX2 is simple and easy to use. Awesome guitar tones, good bass tones, and often with my band's recordings I will run their instruments back through these virtual guitar rigs, and really beef up the sound.

A bit noisy for "some" settings. Better compressors built in would be nice.

I now use it with my Tascam 2488 neo and Abelton Live 8, and it works pretty well.

For the price, it's a great entry level product.

11th April 2014

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 by funkyboss007

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Line 6 UX2

It doesn't have the best sound quality or conversion, and it is really meant for guitar players but less so for vocal. Vocal isn't nearly as good sounding. But you can get some great tones for guitar if you are not too heavy handed with the effects.

The Pod Farm and the equipment are great, a ton of features and as long as you are sensible about the effects you can get really good tones. Take it easy with the effects, it gets that glassy digital sound very easily, but you can get some good fender and marshal vintage tones, nowhere the real thing but really good for the money. I am not a high gain guy, but I think that is where a lot of the most authentic sounds are. But again, if you just use a marshall with a cab and maybe a boost pedal it sounds really good.

The licensing stuff with the Pod Farm setup is ridiculous and why I gave the ease of use a 3. Once it is set up it is very easy thoguh.

It comes with an absolute ton of gear to be modeled and for the money the feature set is very robust.

The fact you can use it as a vst type instrument makes Pod Farm great in your DAW, and gives a ton of recording flexibility.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search