The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg c 451 b

AKG C451 B

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Carrying on the tradition of the time-honoured C 451 EB + CK1

8th December 2011

AKG C451 B by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Akg c 451 b

This is the current model microphone that AKG would sell you as a "451". Aside from being a small diaphragm condenser with a superficially similar appearance it bears little resemblance to the original.

Capsule is fixed in place, noninterchangeable, cardioid pattern only.
3 position pad and 3 position bass rolloff built in. Comes in a nice wooden box with a clip and rather shoddy foam windscreen rather than the wire mesh pop filter of the original. Shockmount available.

This mic is intended for use on all the usual things you'd use an SDC for, overheads, strings, acoustic guitar, snare, etc. The only problem is that compared to the original 451 the sound doesn't really hold up. The mic is a bit harsh and does nasty things to sibilants. The nondetachable cardioid capsule does not compare well to the CK-1 of the original. This is, IMO, another case of a company bringing out a "revival" of a classic but compromising the design to accommodate modern assembly line production. I own one of these and two of the old ones. Guess which one I don't use much?

Understand, this is still a better mic than your average moderately priced SDC condensers. I just don't think it's worth the current new price and I don't consider it to be a "real" C451. I picked up mine used, cheap.

31st January 2012

AKG C451 B by travisbrown

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
Akg c 451 b

Having long been a fan of the venerable C 451 EB + CK1 capsule, I was thrilled with the performance and response of the followup C 451 B. As promised in the marketing literature, the newer version appears to be acoustically identical to its predecessor with the same cardioid pattern and familiar 10k bump, and is the same excellent build quality one expects of AKG.

The newer version handily provides a -10 and -20 pad in addition to the legacy shelf circuit.

My favourite applications for the 451 series mics are: paired with a dynamic mic for acoustic guitars, mono application for stringed instruments like mandolins, violins, cellos, high hats, percussion overheads, and vocals in an off-axis setup. It also has low enough self-noise to be an excellent close mic for macro low-level applications.

In the wake of the deluge of cheap small diaphragm condensers from the respectable Oktavas to the $50 chinese knockoffs, the C 451 and its other European peers sometimes get sidelined as esoteric and expensive. However, in terms being able to reliably match pairs, and garnering some respectability for your mic locker by having time-honoured selection, it's hard to go wrong investing in a go-to SDC mics like the C 451 series.

2nd February 2012

AKG C451 B by StringMike

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
Akg c 451 b

This is the good old workhorse SDC. Although its German sibling, the Neumann KM-184, is a tad more expensive, I often prefer the cheaper Austrian. Like most SDCs, it's very prone to too bright and transient sources, and more than the KM-184. But usaully, in combination with a preamp with lots of iron, these transients can be tamed and result in recordings that catches a lot of character and overtones without getting too shimmery. Where a lot of the tube preamps, that I own, get too grainy and sharp. API=not the best. Neve=great results, even on bright acoustics and OH. Not a big fan on its most reknowned place, the hihat. I find it lacks body and stick attack, and has too much bleed from cymbals and snare. Get a Beyer M201!
Favourite use: 15th fret on most acoustics, combined with a good pre. Snaredrum shell.

15th June 2015

AKG C451 B by BeHappy

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Akg c 451 b

It's different from the old 451. But for the price, the 451b is a great mic.

For some applications I prefer this over the vintage, when I need a kind of modern sound for acoustic performance the 451b wins, and with the right preamp is not that bright.
Considering that this mic has been used by Jack Johnson for many years on his acoustic guitar and is made in Austria by AKG... is a nice piece of gear.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Akg c 451 b
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search