The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boss BR-800

Boss BR-800 Digital Recorder

4 4 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Digital recorder

31st January 2012

Boss BR-800 Digital Recorder by beasone

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Boss BR-800

Features:

4-Track Simultaneous Recording
8-Track Simultaneous Playback (Plus Dedicated Stereo Rhythm Track)
Guitar, Bass, and Vocal Effects
Song Sketch Recording (WAV format)
Built-in Advanced Drum Machine with Editor Software
Functions as a USB Audio Interface and DAW Control Surface
Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 LE Software (Plus Loops)
Built-in Stereo Condenser Microphone
Touch Sensors
1GB SD Included (Supports up to 32GB SDHC Card)
Runs on Six AA Batteries/USB Bus Power/AC Adaptor

Boss's BR-800 is a powerful and compact 8-Track digital recorder and control surface. Each track has 8 virtual tracks which can be selected and used to bounce tracks. There is a mastering function which applies eq, compression, and reverb to the tracks and bouncing them down into two stereo tracks. The entire recording process therefore can be done on the go. Editing tracks on the BR-800 is a bit cumbersome and limited, therefore it is best done on your DAW although the feel of the touch sensors is nice for average use.

The sound quality is superior to any digital recorder I have used in the past and the quality of built in reverb is absolutely phenomenal. I greatly prefer the reverb in the BR-800 to that of any plug-in I own. The other effects are very powerful as well. While there is 4 simultaneous recording possible, only one of the 4 XLR inputs have phantom power. This requires the use of external preamps if you are using an number of condenser or ribbon microphones or wish to do stereo recordings. The internal preamps are very clean however and do offer enough gain for most applications.

The best feature of the BR-800 is the ability to use the unit as a control surface with most DAW's. With low latency and the ability to use the BR-800 as an audio interface, the device stands bridges the gap between portable digital recorders and computer DAW's. My biggest complaint on the unit is a lack of balanced outputs (only RCA). There are a number of features which I'm sure I've left out of this review, so I encourage you to do more reading on the BR-800.

I have used the BR-800 to record an entire album and I am very happy with the end result. I can highly recommend the BR-800 and give it 4 out of 5 stars.

14th May 2016

Boss BR-800 Digital Recorder by pompadourus

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Boss BR-800

I am hearing like a crackling noise from the onboard microphones, with record level a bit past noon and L and R input sensitivity also a bit past noon. Seems unlikely that this is just ambient room noise, never heard this before with other equipment. Does anyone know if this may be an inherent problem with the br-800? I record nylon strings, so I like the sensitivity pretty high.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Boss BR-800
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search