The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG k701

AKG K701

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 8 Reviews

Reference-class professional monitoring headphones.

31st January 2012

AKG K701 by beasone

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
AKG k701

Features:

Revolutionary Flat-Wire Technology
Frequency Response 10Hz - 39.8kHz
Maximum Input Power 200 mW
Input Impedance 62 ohms
Sensitivity 105 dB SPL/V
Earpads Replaceable 3D-Form
Headband Exclusive leather self-adjusting
Cable 3.00 m
Connector 3.5mm hard gold-plated jack plug and contacts
Weight 235 g
Colour White

The k701 are currently AKG's top of the line headphones replacing the k1000's (which have been around since 1989) at a much lower price tag. Before going into all the technical aspects of the k701, let me first just say that I simply love these headphones. They are extremely transparent, accurate, and above all, comfortable. Many critiques would say they are easily one of the best headphones that have ever been in production.

The new technology found AKG's k701 is a revolutionary flat wire voice coil which is said to optimize the "coil fill factor," greatly enhancing HF accuracy. Distortion is virtually eliminated and imaging improved with AKG's patented Varimotion two-layer diaphragm. Frequency responses from 10 Hz to 39.8 kHz are complemented by neodymium magnetic structures. The audio signal travels over a 10 ft oxygen-free bi-wired captive copper cable which allows for optimal channel separation and reproduction. AKG has strict quality control individually testing and numbering each headphone manufactured.

The quality of the construction is very durable and the overall look is very stylish. The k701 comes with a presentation stand and 6.3mm adapter. The imaging can be adjust slightly by moving the ear pads around your ears. According to some audiophiles, it may take sometime for the headphones to be broken-in (100 - 300 hours). In terms of sounds, the frequency response is relatively flat without any emphasis on specific frequencies. The sound is warm, yet clear and detailed.

I highly recommend the AKG k701 for any critical listening work. I can confidently give the k701 5 out of 5 stars. How could I not? These are some of the best headphones ever made!

1st February 2012

AKG K701 by wetmartiandog

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
AKG k701

The previous review had all the specs, so, I thought I would share some of my experience with these headphones. I have my own home studio where most of my time is spent on mixing. My wife and kids were not always fond of my noise, so I decided to invest in these.

First of all, they have an open ear design. These are not designed for tracking because the sound will bleed even at low volumes. There is enough leakage that often my wife thought I really had them cranked.

The sound is incredible. Clean, open, detailed. It's very easy to pinpoint location in a mix. My mixes on them instantly became better, because, I was able to find some of the problems that my monitors were masking. Your mix won't always translate if you mix solely on them. They are meant for reference and they do an exceptional job in placing instruments and effects.

The over ear design is incredibly comfortable. I have been using them mainly to check pan position and effects. When pushed to, I have used them on a complete mix and had decent results. I have also been using them to listen to professional releases and analyzing the sounds/effects being used and their placement in the mix.

You really can't go wrong with these. They sound great and reveal more of your mix or other mixes than you have heard before. They won't replace a good pair of monitors, so, don't expect them to. They will give you a great reference and bring you enjoyment when you decide to kick back and just listen to some great tunes.

5th February 2012

AKG K701 by NoEgo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
AKG k701

I have been using these cans for about 3 years now. Nothing comes close to their open space listening environment they emulate so well. It's right to say that you shouldn't rely on headphones to mix, but certainly they have use in a mix. While editing, you can listen for days, and never get that urge to rub the sides of your head with them, the way I did with many others until I bought these fine headphones. They are open yes, and they do leak yes..but depending on your source this may not be an issue. I use other brands and other AKG units to get the task done, but these are definitely the best I have ever used at the board. I gave the bang for buck a 9 only because they are higher priced, and not because don't think they are worth it. They really are.

10th February 2012

AKG K701 by VCrane

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
AKG k701

The incredible detail is what separates these from other headphones. I haven't got experience of every headphone model out there, but AKG K-701 is like nothing I've ever heard. These headphones reveal small things that others don't. Another thing that should be taken into consideration is the fact, that if music has been really greatly engineered, it sounds like pure perfection through these. If you listen to the most fine sounding recordings in the world, you will enjoy them with extreme pleasure with K-701. Vocals pop out of the cans like never before. I had hard time believing the descriptions of these, how detailed these are and everything, but now I just have to believe that it's true. These headphones sound different.

The sound is really open and has a speaker feel, which is a great thing. The frequency response is extremely flat, though it lacks bass a bit. This however needs to be taken into consideration only in critical engineering work, since the lack is only small. It doesn't have an effect on how pleasant and good music sounds.

They are cheap since other true high-end headphones cost easily twice as much. They are quite comfortable though may feel slightly uncomfortable on the top of the head. Cable is not removable and the big plug is the default and the small plug comes on top of it, which is a little stupid. The package and included stand are awesome.

Incredible cans. I strongly recommend!

11th February 2012

AKG K701 by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
AKG k701

These are very flat sounding headphones.
Yes they sound pretty neutral not particularly musical but never the less a very accurate set of cans.

Look they do take a very long time to burn in.
Now I did not believe in what originally sounded like audiophool stuff but burn in with these headphones is a reality.
They were too bright initially but then seemed to mellow.
I would say that the comfort of these headphones is very good compared to other brands I've tried.
The Akg 240df model I owned long ago and these smoke those.
I have listened to the sennhieser HD800 and though they seemed a bit more nimble with transients the overall tonal signature was not that different.

I do think these are a reasonable reference can.
Not the best sounding I've heard but definitely not a low end headphone.
Perhaps they could be a bit more musical.
It depends what you'd like, with a pair of headphones, like speakers very personal.

Worth auditioning definitely an improvement over earlier AKG lines.
I think the Grado headphones are my favorite for detail, but some models are not very flat as they are more geared toward the listening crowd.
However the Allessandro line is another story.

I think the great thing about 701's is that they present a picture that if you can make something shine in them it will probably translate quite well.
I'm not of the school of thought though that a flat or reference model is necessarily more accurate.

It presents things in a certain way, but still there is coloration in any design.

26th March 2012

AKG K701 by tone_rekooda

AKG k701

Hey mates,

this time I am doing a review about AKG 701, a headphone engineered and built in Austria.

I´ve titled this review as "monitor" because I didn`t find the title "headphone" =)

At first some gossip

When I was looking for a new “high end” headphone I came across the AKG 702. Although I wanted to buy them so bad I couldn`t afford it. Then I`ve read a lot about the “little brother” AKG 701 and thought “what`s the difference? I gonna call AKG”. So I called AKG and talked to a technical support guy who was very friendly on the phone and he told me that the AKG 701 is white (AKG 702 is black) and that the AKG 701 has a fixed cable (AKG 702 has a removable cable). All the parts and technology itself is exactly the same. What means that the sound is exactly the same too. Ok I thought, the 701 is way cheaper, so I am going to buy it!

My first impressions (look, build quality, usability)

I am using AKG K50 or so for djing, little crappy headphones, but they do the job well. I thought that the much bigger 701 would be much heavier in weight. But no way, they are pretty lightweight. That`s one reason why I care a lot about them, what means that I handled them at first like a little puppy. But that`s the point why this headphone is nearly divine wearing for some hours : You hardly notice them and after a short time you don`t have the feeling of wearing anything on the head! The earcups are a velour-like material which gives a very comfortable wearing experience.

At home I often do producing on them. Let`s say 5 hours in a row, what`s an adequate guess. I don`t have the feeling that my ears are fatigued a lot. Not like my dj-headphones which are ear-killers. But keep in mind that the AKG 701 are open headphones. This can be an advantage in terms of sound quality but you are able to hear your surrounding and your surrounding is able to hear what`s coming out of the headphones. That can be a problem if you are working in your bedroom while the girlfriend or boyfriend is watching TV or so.

Just some words about the look of the headphones : I love how they look! They are telling me when I look at them “Hey mate, let`s get your loupe and listen in the most accurate way how your frequencies are behaving”. Yeah, it`s a cosy feeling looking at them like when The Simpsons are on the TV (I am grown up with The Simpsons and a TV-kid too, I feel at home when I see Homer, hehe)

Sound quality

When I listened to music on them for the first time I really wasn`t impressed. They sounded thin and harsh with hardly bass. I couldn`t imagine why people are saying that there sound is awesome.
But then I realized how much details I can hear on them – that actually did impress me a lot!

After this first impressions I heard the first time that headphones and monitors should be burned in. Well, there are reviews around which are telling you to burn in at least 200hours, 300 would be better. And yeah, it`s true, burn in time on this beasts is a HUGE amount of time. But it`s worth being patient, the sound changes drastically. Now the highs don`t sound harsh anymore, the mids came out very nicely and the bass is finally hearable. If you are expecting nice sounding hifi headphones you won`t be pleased. I would describe the sound as very analytical and not charming at all. If a song or mixdown isn`t right you can hear it immediately.

Nowadays my main purpose of using them is checking mixdowns or analyzing sounds and I always adjust the limiter`s settings on them. I am using Slate`s FG-X as limiter and I just trust my adjustments when done with the AKG 701 because I can hear little knob-twists very fast and accurate. That way of usage the AKG 701 really shines and can be more than useful.

On the other hand it`s a revelation listening to classical music or well recorded jazz on them! You have the feeling of being in middle of the orchestra, hearing every nuance of the instruments.

Conclusion

The AKG 701 are worth every penny! Of course you have to be patient because of the horrible burn in time but you won`t be disappointed when you hear your babies growing up and becoming a matured full-size headphone with pristine accuracy and awesome space imaging.

13th May 2013

AKG K701 by Earthly

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
AKG k701

I never thought it possible for headphones to be so comfortable that it is genuinely a pleasure to have them sit on my head!

The sound is true reference, i.e. flat. The detail these headphones provide is equally as inspiring as reassuring. There is an extensive argument between individuals who believe a 'burn in' period is essential to bring the k701s (and k702s) to life and other individuals who argue the merit of a 'burn in' is myth. I must say, objectively, pro-burn in arguments are without exception all subjective while anti-burn arguments are based on objective evidence. I found these headphones to be sa great as I expected them to be as soon as I opened the box and plugged them in.

Apparently, K701s have been discontinued for a while, but I bought a pair from Thomman at the very reasonable price of £160 in mid-2013. K702s have replaced the K701s and are identical in every way except the 702s have a detachable cord, come in a different colour, and are substantially more expensive.

13th August 2018

AKG K701 by Rob1980

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
AKG k701

No point in going into technical details as a few of the reviews does this already.

These phones, in short, are just fine for the price range they sit in. I haven't had a chance to listen to others yet over £100 (these cost £113). They have, as expected with reference/mixing headphones, a flat response, it's not too exciting, it's clear but "boring", but this is how they SHOULD be if you want to mix or reference. I reckon if you have a high end sound system with your own eq system, these phones would be awesome. So think on that incase you listen to these and wonder why they are not loud and full of bass. Speaking of loud, they are not the loudest either. Which, to be fair, you really don't want to be mixing or referencing above the K701's max volume. So I wouldn't bother about the slight decrease in volume compared to other phones.

I personally dig these phones. I have had them on for two albums worth now and they are great. Done some mixing for half an hour and yeah, they reference not too bad. I have these in combination with JBL LSR305 Monitors, and man, I am happy.

Many people say they need burned in, it "sounds" true, as the phones have a little fizz, heard most clear on guitar music, though it's not too drastic, and I do know this is normal and should fade after around 350 hours, and there are audiophile headphones here and at higher prices which require burn in periods of this length. The way it is with higher end phones.

Overall, yeah, I am liking these phones, like any listening device it really comes down to learning the speaker or headphone, and these are phones I don't mind learning at all. Worth checking out.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... AKG k701
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search