The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PreSonus EQ3B

PreSonus EQ3B

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Three-band fully parametric single channel analog EQ.

31st January 2012

PreSonus EQ3B by beasone

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
PreSonus EQ3B

Features:

Single Channel, 1 U, 1/3 Rack
Three Fully Parametric Bands
High Pass Rumble Filter
Low Noise Floor (-98dB)
Bypass Switch
Low Frequency Range 20Hz to 300Hz
Mid Frequency Range 200Hz to 3kHz
High Frequency Range 2kHz to 20kHz
Gain Adjust -12dB to +12dB
High Pass Filter 80Hz
I/O Unbalanced 1/4" and Balanced XLR

The EQ3B is one of five new 1 U, 1/3 Rack units from PreSonus. The other units from PreSonus include the Tube Pre, COMP16 (16 preset compression), HP4 (4 channel headphone amplifier), and Audiobox (USB interface). The small size of these units is a great desktop alternative to the industry standard 19" rack mount. You have two options of organizing these units: 1) A PreSonus tower rack which vertically mounts six units, 2) 3UMR 1 RU adaptor to rack mount 3 units into a single rack unit.

The series is extremely affordable and offers smaller project studios the ability to utilize outboard gear without making a huge investment or requiring a lot of space. The EQ3B also works well for portable studios and live applications due to its small size and light weight. The construction quality is very high with a steel chasis, sides made of cast aluminum, and a front panel which is a blue brushed aluminum.

The the inputs and outputs of the EQ3B are either unbalanced 1/4" jacks (TS) or balanced XLRs. I would have liked to seen the option of having balanced TRS to ease the connection to a patch bay, but with the correct cables it is no trouble at all. The three bands are clearly marked and have overlapping frequencies with center detents on the gain knobs. External PSUs can be cumbersome, but do offer a reduction in the noise floor.

The sound of the EQ3B is surprisingly warm and clear and works great for vocals and any number of other single channel applications. I greatly prefer using the EQ3B to a 31 band EQ and my DAW's EQ. For the small price tag and quality, the EQ3B is definitely a great value. I highly recommend the EQ3B and give it 4 out of 5 stars.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... PreSonus EQ3B
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search