The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus Faderport

PreSonus FaderPort

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 12 Reviews

A single fader with a few useful features

31st January 2012

PreSonus FaderPort by MTStudios

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25
Presonus Faderport

The Presonus Faderport is one of those little pieces of gear that could make a big difference to the way you work. Aimed at Mousephobic automation-slutz, it simply gives the user access to a high resolution touch sensitive motorized fader.

Installing the Faderport for Pro Tools was fairly easy. After plugging in USB and power, the Faderport needed a firmware update, which was a bit tedious, but once it was done it was simply a matter of pointing Pro Tools to the Faderport in the peripherals window.

Faderport contains buttons you'd somewhat expect to find, of course there's the obvious transport, but features such as Window view - Mix, Project(edit) , Fader Mode - automation settings such as Off/Touch/Write/Read, plus banking and channel controls Mute/Solo/Rec add convenience for some users.

The high resolution fader itself feels great, moves nicely, is fantastic for automation passes, and generally speeds up work flow. Comparable to the feel of a C24 fader. The Faderport is well built, rugged, and reliable, it's pretty much a chunk of metal with a pleasant design.

There's only two big let downs in the fader port. While the fader is touch sensitive, the Pan pot is not. This makes it essentially useless for automation passes, and in effect, a complete waste of space on the Faderport. The other mysterious let down is the need for external power. Without the external power, the faderport is no longer motorized, however the option to use a double headed USB port to supply extra power would've made the Faderport take up much less of a foot print inside one's studio, but now it's responsible for another set of power cables - on ones desk for that matter - and the use of another power point with an awkward line lump transformer.

If you're frustrated doing automation passes with a mouse than the Faderport would be the cheapest, fastest and most reliable way to get a fader under your fingers.

30th March 2012

PreSonus FaderPort by andrplx

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Presonus Faderport

Touch-sensitive fader controllers must be the most uninteresting subjects in terms of studio equipment reviews.
Still, when you’re on the market for any kind of gear there’s never enough reviews and forums you can have.
I got mine because I started to do some freelance post-production work and all my previous experience came from working in a professional studio.
In that studio there were two audio post-production suites with an additional voice booth for as many as 6 video editing suites.
Those where mostly Avid with an extra final cut room for versatility.
For audio there were the ubiquitous, although absurdely expensive, Pro Tools rigs (these were the Pro Tools 7, Digidesign hardware-only days) and the controllers were a Digidesign ProControl with expansion and a (Focusrite) Control|24.
These, although very good, were clearly oversized (the Focusrite literally so) for the everyday editing jobs and for the Neumann in the voice booth there was a dedicated high quality outboard valve pre-amp, anyway.
So, in each room we would use only about two faders on each machine for automation recording (one for the left-handed ops and one for the right-handed ones), the monitoring facilities and some of the transport buttons.
Well, the Faderport has one fader for Volume, a rotary for PAN, transport controls, Mute, Solo, Rec and a few extra shortcut keys for Undo/Redo, Mix, Project and Transport.
Additionaly, there are four keys for Channel Select shortcuts, and another four for extra transport functions Punch activation, Marker drop and navigation.
All this on a desktop form about the area of a DVD case.
Which you can easily move around to match the operators best hand.
What else can you say about the high-quality fader, the inexpensive package and the ability to perform most of the tasks we were doing in the studio with the Boeing 747 cockpit-sized Control|24?

p.s.: I had originally chosen "1" for audio quality as that category is pointless in a controller, but decided to change it as of April 7th, 2012 to "10" because it was unfair to the Faderport as it doesn't introduce any audio degradation whatsoever when in use.

2nd April 2012

PreSonus FaderPort by soundmark

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
Presonus Faderport

I remember when Rick N and I talked over the phone and he told me about his new idea of a desktop fader.
Well, there is still a fader that comes alive everytime I open my DAW and its welcome in my edit suite.
Fader feels good, transport control works good...what do you want? Its great and its cheap...buy 2!

18th April 2012

PreSonus FaderPort by jesperklang

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Presonus Faderport

The unit is very easy to use. I have to say that I really do like the way my workflow have changed sins I bought this product.

At first I thought about buying the Behringer BCF2000, but I changed my mind when I heard how much noice it made when the faders were moving. The Faderport on the other hand is very quiet. The Faderport got the same kind of motorized fader that DigiDesign's D-Command have, so you can expect quality.

I'm not that keen about is the pan knob. It respons quite badly on movement. I havn't got the Prev, Next marker to work with Pro Tools, but it probably works with other DAWs. It would be better if the Write button would've been replaced with a Latch button, since it's what I normaly use.

If I just ignore the things that could have been better, I really do recommend this product. Like I said, it have improved my workflow and with the Faderport I can now make automations with a little more feeling rather than turning a knob with the mouse or write it in.

3rd April 2013

PreSonus FaderPort by Dettenator

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Presonus Faderport

I would also recommend the faderport, I went Presonus all the way this time, 24.4.2, Capture and Studio one Pro v2, the faderport is the only controller I use so it can be a little slo going when trying to mix a recorded show with 15 tracks switching from 1 track to the next and back to the first to get everything level.
I don't really use the transport controls that much other than play and stop, but the loop and the lighted buttons help to let you know where you are.
I always forget to use the pan knob for some reason.
the fader is wonderful, smooth, the touch sensitive is about as good as it gets, gave me a new outlook on writing automation, i only use my mouse when I absolutely have to now.

30th September 2013

PreSonus FaderPort by djm525

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Presonus Faderport

The PreSonus faderport is the perfect controller for anyone, whether it be a home studio or a pro studio! I bought mine for $100, and its been such a great investment. Let me start by saying I work 99% of the time in Pro Tools, and the other 1% is testing sounds in Studio One or sometimes garageband.
The faderport has a single channel fader that is very fast (in terms of response time to the automation on a given track), as well as a single pan knob. The fader is wonderfully responsive, and responds to a 0.1 dB move on a channel fader in Pro Tools. The pan knob... well... I wish I could say as much. It is extremely jumpy, and will often jump several % over to one side or the other while turning. I only use it when I know that I am hard panning, but I would never use it for minute changes. The faderport also has a Transport built in to it, which is what I find I use the most. It includes a record, play, stop, and forward and backward buttons that also have a shiftable start/end option. The shift button is a little odd, as sometimes it will occasionally not light up, but still be on. Sometimes annoying, but its something you can get over or not use. It also has 2 different record modes, such as punching in and looping, as well as a user presettable button that you can assign to different tasks. The faderport has window selection buttons, which are extremely helpful for switching between a mix and an edit window. One of my favorite features is the undo button, which can also be shifted into a redo button, in the case of an accidental undo. Standard track controls are also included, such as arming the track to record, soloing the track, and muting the track. Another nice feature is the inclusion of a footswitch (not included) input in the back of the unit, in the case of wanting to punch in audio with a switch, or anything else you may want to use it for.
The faderport was essentially plug-and-play, however, I did need to install a driver after a few uses with Pro Tools, and I had to configure it in the MIDI menu. It has worked fine ever since. The faderport works in a way that 8 channels on Pro Tools are highlighted in a specific color, and you can select between them with your mouse or the buttons on the unit. The track that is selected is the one that the unit controls. It feels a lot like an extension of the software, especially in Studio One. The faderport will light up as various buttons are pressed, whether it be in the software or on the device. The fader also reacts very quickly to the automation on the track.
The things that I like about the faderport are many. The first being the speed of the unit’s reactions to software changes. Obviously, the faderport’s competitor is the AlphaChannel, which does not plug into a power outlet (the faderport has a wall-wart). However, I really like that the faderport plugs in, mostly because it takes the stress of power off of the USB cable, freeing it to focus on more important things. It just feels better having it be plugged in, however, if you are looking to use this unit on the go, the Alpha Channel may be a better option, as without the power you lose all automation in the fader with the faderport. I also really like the way that faderport is set up, the arrangement of buttons works really well, and its not very hidden like it may be on the Alpha Channel (swiping transports may be difficult). Some things that I don’t like about the fader port are as follows: First, pushing the buttons is slightly cumbersome. After a while, the record-arming button started to not activate as much. It ended up needing a good push to really arm the track through the fader port, which was a bit annoying and very unprofessional. The normal record button has a similar issue. My guess would be it has something to do with the lights, as those are the only 2 buttons that flash on and off. Which leads me to my next complaint, the flashing lights are audible. There is a slight click when the light turns on and off, which is a bit annoying. The stop button (and the mute button, if the selected track is muted when you close your DAW) stays on as long as your computer is on, even when you close your DAW. Its a real inconvenience, and just a bad look when you see that its still on. When you close out of Studio One however, the entire unit turns off, and you have to unplug it and plug it back in if you want to work in Pro Tools. I’d really love to see the faderport have an LED screen like the Alpha Channel to display the track name. That seems like a helpful addition to a single fader unit.
Overall, this is a great addition to any studio. It works well, its lasted me a few years so far, and it has a good look sitting on an empty desk with a iMac Keyboard and Mouse. You won’t regret buying this unit.

18th February 2014

PreSonus FaderPort by deondamage

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1.75
Presonus Faderport

This was not an easy device to install with Cubase, but after I finally got it to work, I couldn`t live without it. However, after upgrading Cubase, it stopped functioning the way it`s supposed to. Presonus support told me that they will deliver new drivers for it, but have no confirmed date. This was a couple of years ago. Still no new drivers. It is packed away in it`s box until who knows when. Hate to be the troll here, but if you are a Cubase user, I do not recommend it. I work on a Mac, so I dont know if it`s a Mac specific problem, but I doubt it.

5th November 2014

PreSonus FaderPort by DuX

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Presonus Faderport

I bought Faderport 2 years ago [~$120] because I needed some MIDI transport controller to control recording remotely since I often record my own vocals alone, and I keep the mic as far as possible from the computers and monitors. It works fabulously for that purpose and then some, as I later discovered. Nowadays I find it indispensable for everything I do - mastering, mixing, as a great time-saving editing tool. What I also really like about it is that the fader is top-quality, rather quiet and fast/responsive. Buttons are a little on the stiffer side, but absolutely usable and durable, too. The only problem with it is on the software side and not so computer savvy people could encounter problems with it making it work fully and properly with other software than Presonus Studio One. With it, it works perfectly and it's easy to set up. I use it with Reaper and after some tinkering with the drivers and firmware it is possible to make it work extraordinarily good with Reaper, and with Cubase 5. Especially with Cubase 5, it worked without too much fuss.

All this made me give it 4 for features and 4 for bang for buck because I think Presonus could have done a better job with it on the software side so people wouldn't have to tinker with it so much to make it work with other software, other than Studio One. In Reaper it is best to use it with a 3rd party Reaper driver made by Karbomusic here: Updated Faderport Support (Faderport XT - Alpha) - Cockos Confederated Forums Tinker with it a little and it will serve you brilliantly, but not because Presonus made it so. Same thing if you want to use it with Renoise tracker, there is an excellent driver for it made by 3rd party but I don't use Renoise. If you do, just google it.

Summed up: great hardware with not so good software, but it works great once you give it some time to make it work. Bang for the buck should actually be 5. Features also, if only it was possible to record automation of anything you wanted with it and with all DAWs that have support for it. Ease of use, when you make it to work, is definitely 5. So the only drawback of it in my view is that you have to tinker with it too much to make it work properly with anything other than Studio One and Cubase 5 [that I don't use any more].

31st January 2016

PreSonus FaderPort by nielsd

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Presonus Faderport

I use the Motor fader with Pro Tools and Studio One Prof. as a substitute for a mix desk. The features are well positioned and realized. Installation in S1 is very simple. In Pro Tools it sometimes need a restart to get it working with PT.

It would be nice to have it working under Universal Audios Console Application - but this would be the Job of UAD to implement the HUI, Mackie protocol.

An ugly thing is that the fader sends any data in channel one which could not be changed and seems to interfer / disturb other MIDI devices even when not "touched" (i.e. BlueCat Patchwork). I had to configure any other MIDI device away from channel 1 as a solution.

This is a very helpful tool - but the price is a bit heavy - hope it will be stable and reliable a long time.

2nd February 2016

PreSonus FaderPort by deejay2x

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Presonus Faderport

Does everything well as I need to. Riding the fader of course is the most important thing and always good to have so that's why I grabbed this. Nevermind having a bunch of faders when you really now days you need just one.

The pan pot on the other hand is horrible. Wish they had the pot with no clicks and that would respond better. Its always a hit or miss kinda thing with the pan.

4 weeks ago

PreSonus FaderPort by CadErik

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Presonus Faderport

This is really an amazing piece of gear. The quality of the fader and of the buttons is outstanding. The precision of the fader will never let you down and the buttons are "old school" military grade. I end up using it all the time because you can now control transport no matter what is in focus. You can edit presets on a VSTi and just rewind your song or change the volume.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Presonus Faderport
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search