The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai EIE Pro

Akai Professional EIE Pro

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

This interface sports a plethora of features for its price range and includes LED backlit VU meters, good build and quality, low latency, clean preamps, and outboard inserts.

31st January 2012

Akai Professional EIE Pro by beasone

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Akai EIE Pro

Features:

4 XLR/TRS Inputs
4 TRS Inserts
4 TRS Outputs
2 VU Meters
24-bit, 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/88.2 kHz/96 kHz
USB Hub
Midi In/Out
Low latency
48V Phantom Power

Few interfaces in this price range offer as many features as the EIE Pro, not to mention the inclusion of VU meters. LED backlighting turn red when the signal peaks, making it easy to properly stage the gain. Additionally, depending on your needs, the input or output of either channels 1/2 or channels 3/4 may be selected for display.

The build and quality on the EIE Pro is astounding. The unit itself is heavy and sturdy and sits nice on any workstation. Because of the EIE Pro's low latency, EQ, compression, and reverb may be applied for monitoring while tracking. This helps musicians have a better feel of what the final mix will sound like while still recording the signal dry for later post-processing.

The preamps are clean and offer plenty of gain for both condenser and ribbon microphones with the included phantom power. If you wish to add a bit more of color or warmth, you may affectively by-pass the preamps altogether by inputing the signal from your favorite preamps (or any outboard gear for that manner) at line level. One of the best features of the EIE Pro, not often found in this price range, are the inclusion of 4 inserts for outboard gear in addition to the 4 inputs and 4 outputs.

You'd be hard pressed to find another interface in this price range which outperforms the EIE Pro or offers more features. Therefore, I highly recommend the EIE Pro for any studio and easily give it 5 stars.

18th April 2016

Akai Professional EIE Pro by techno_toe

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 0.75
Akai EIE Pro

Probably one of the worst interfaces for audio I have ever heard.
Super glitchy drivers and noise riddled recordings.
Akai tech support dropped the ball on this one big time. A sad situation. I will probably never purchase another akai product again just because of this item.
I wish i could erase all reference to this item. I could never find anyone to take this item off my hands. At present i have been forced to use it as a monitor stand.

19th May 2018

Akai Professional EIE Pro by jacobcoid

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Akai EIE Pro

Only reason I’ve given a 4/5 on bnb for buck is because I got the EIE on eBay second hand for £90. That would make it 6/5 but I’m not sure what the new prices were.

This thing is amazing. Couldn’t believe how well it functions perfectly in a home setup. I work in an all analogue reel-to-reel studio for serious projects, this was just my piece of home kit for sampling stuff and remixing, but at home (a flat in a big apartment building) I’ve been using 2x tannoy reveal monitors with an Akai APC (mains powered) controller with love instruments mixed with midi, and I’d been experiencing a million problems with ground hum anyway but I digress... I needed an all round piece of kit to just Tick every box in terms of: live recording from condersors (phantom power), being able to catch my fellow musicians on a jam (4 ins ideally), easy to integrate with logic, ableton and serato (for the DJ remix stuff) and just be an all round good piece of kit.

Couldn’t believe it when I got the delivery. It has an integrated 3 usb hub that seemingly has a ground loop isolater built in, because the him issues I had with my APC disappeared as soon as it was rooted through this. Also divides midi perfectly so if like me, you have a midi keyboard and a sampling midi device, there’s no ‘confusion’ on some of the trigger items that you tend to see when using a hub.

The pre amps are fantastic, not had a chance to get it down to the studio yet and see if it captures an NT1 perfectly but what I’ve heard from it so far it exceptional. The ins are grouped too so you can have 2 phantom powered and 2 without (rather than a global switch.

I don’t think I’ve ever been happier with a piece of kit and that’s before you even look at how gorgeous the thing is. I mean... those dial VU meters <3

Seen the negatives on this are windows and driver based issues. Plugged this into my 2011 MacBook Pro (in 2018) and it worked perfectly from the off.

Long time user but first time poster on gearslutz, hope my first post was helpful

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Akai EIE Pro
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search