The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis io26
3.45 3.45 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Recording interface with 8 preamps and 2 channels of adat input.

29th January 2012

Alesis IO26 by Sim

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.25
Alesis io26

I had the io26 for a while when it first came out as a portable interface. On paper it seems like it has excellent bang for buck considering its features but getting to work properly is a nightmare and if you take a look around on the internet you'll find endless stories of people struggle with it. I originally had to send my back as it developed a hardware fault luckily I didn't have to deal with Alesis just Thomann.de and they have fantastic cusomer service.

The preamps on this thing aren't to bad they don't distorted in any particularly nasty way but they do ad a kind of mistiness over your sounds. It has adat ins but no adats out which is a bit annoying really. The to headphone amps are just about average same as the pre's really.

The main problem with this interface is Alesis hardly ever update the drivers, and literally the smallest thing will stop it from working even on a mac. It has 2 firewire ports for daisy chaining say a hdd but i imagine that would cause all sorts of problems. I would have pops and clicks get them sort then I'd have a hardware fault for example the interface wouldn't link firewire unless the phantom was on and random led lights would stay on in the metering which seemed to be quite a common fault.

I highly recommend you stay away from this interface unless you want your recording life to be a living headache.

9th January 2014

Alesis IO26 by nightlight

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Alesis io26

I recently used the io26 for several small projects, as well as for handling my home setup. Sincerely, I have to disagree with the tone of the preview already posted.

Even though I agree that the preamps could be better, I never had problems I couldn't surpass with a little treatment. Most importantly though, I never had ANY functional problems either with the drivers (Mac user here) or with the hardware itself. Everything worked with no effort at all; I have to admit I never used the 2nd FW port, though.

I actually found the interface quite handy; portable yet steady when in place, with easily accessible C-R and H/P level knobs and inputs, with MIDI connectivity, it worked flawlessly as the centre of small setups for groups and artists in several cases, both as a recording tool and a line mixer. For my home synth setup, it was more than enough.

I still consider it a great bang for buck solution for a home producer or a small group, for use up to a semi-pro level. It's not a pro-oriented interface, but it costs WAY less than same-specs models of top-name brands, more or less doing similar things.

9th January 2014

Alesis IO26 by audiokaos

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Alesis io26

I did not have the problems the original reviewer had.

Been using the Alesis IO26 since late 2006. On 3 different operating systems...no driver problems.

The current drivers work well at least for me on XP, Vista, and Win 7. I,ve read more people have had more success on the PC side of things then Mac.

Preamps...alot better then I,ve used from other products. My highest setting is 4 on the gain knobs.

I,ve used this interface overseas, on site recordings, pubs, on laptops, desk tops, no problems.

I just started using the Alesis Master Control with the IO26.

My only gripe with Alesis is they release great products only to discontinue soon after, and the instruction manuals....could be better worded.

22nd March 2014

Alesis IO26 by Quantume

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Alesis io26

I bought my IO26 used and had several intermittent problems with it. I finally found the cause, a bad flat cable connector. After fixing this problem the unit worked consistently. The only problem I have now is a high pitched buzz coming through my monitors (this doesn't bother me so much as my hearing in the high frequencies is about gone). This buzz doesn't seem to affect the sound in the final product on CDs or MP3 output. However, I am now trying out another interface which doesn't have the buzz.