The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo 2882 mobile IO

Metric Halo 2882 Expanded

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

A mobile 1 RU interface that does it all.

23rd January 2012

Metric Halo 2882 Expanded by zygmunt

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The Metric Halo 2882 is one impressive unit. I've had this thing for one year and I am constantly discovering new things about it, and realising just how much other gear it can replace. For a full run down check out the Metric Halo website. I will just discuss here the features that I think are the most impressive. It is a user definable audio interface that runs over firewire. It can be bus powered for those mobile situations, but has a power supply for better resolution on the outputs when in the studio.

It features 8 analog in, which are switchable between mic/line/instrument inputs. Very handy. The 8 analog outputs are completely user definable. There is onboard DSP magic for the software mixer (which is expandable with the +DSP license for more processing options), and you can choose to record this wet or dry with incredibly low latency. I bypass my DAW and monitor from the MH. I don't think anyone could complain about latency, it is non existent. It also has another 10 Digital IO. Metering on the front panel and in the software is excellent. What I love about this thing is that it will do whatever you ask it to. I constantly forget this, but it is essentially a digital mixer in a tiny lightweight box (it is seriously light!!!), and you can route things wherever you need to. The mixer is software controlled, so some might shudder, but what that means is that it is completely recallable, and nothing is set in stone. For example, I just discovered you can use the 8 analog outputs to power 4 stereo headphones, or 8 mono headphones, all with their own mixes! Goodbye behringer headphone amp. Another recent discovery is that I could take this to a live gig and use the analog IO for 8 inserts in my mix. This could be gates, comps, eq, whatever. I just think about the people I have seen who bring huge racks of outboard to a show, and I'm quite confident that this thing could do all of that without a sweat. Sure I'd have to mouse around, but overall it would save time (and my back), not to mention being able to recall my settings. The drivers are exceptionally stable (MH are knows for this!), so I'd be quite confident that it would hold up.

There are a few things that would give the 2882 a 10 in sound quality and ease of use. Firstly, the mic preamps tend to get noisy with too much gain, but I accept this fact as it is designed for mobile use. The pres usually are fine for everything except very soft acoustic sources, and sound clean and transparent under normal circumstances. Secondly, the lack of physical control put me off initially. I think a single dial that could be used as a monitor control would be very helpful. I have since solved this problem with a contour shuttle USB device and have configured it as a monitor controller (You can customise your monitoring options in the MH software and are only limited by the physical outputs of the unit). Goodbye Presonus monitor controller. Another tiny thing is that I would have loved trs/xlr combi jacks on the XLR inputs (since they can take line/instrument level) to avoid silly adapters if needed.

I could go on forever, but one last point I'd like to make is about Metric Halo's promise of their hardware being future proof! WOW. This thing unit has already had an update in its history (it was one of the first firewire interfaces so the design is old!) when they introduced the 2D card, bringing the DSP up to date. It is incredible to think that this box is still so ahead of its time, yet it is such an old design. MH continue to update the MH software mixer to expand functionality and make it easier to use. On their website they discuss the thunderbolt technology and say that they will ensure the continual use of their interfaces for the future. So once firewire is no longer supported it is suggested that they will modify the digital connectivity on your unit for thunderbolt. What other kind of company offers that kind of support? Not many. Check it out: Thunderbolt Info

Don't hesitate to consider this unit!

16th February 2012

Metric Halo 2882 Expanded by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I owned this unit for several years, and while it is a workhorse,
I feel that
the current line of ad/da from Metric halo and especially Prism far exceeds this.

Now you might say well there is no comparison as those units are far more expensive.
The mixer software is good and the potential to use the dsp plug-ins adds value for sure , it is just that the mic preamps are not very good in this unit.

And the ad/da while better then the previous generation at around 2000 now is outdated.
In a summing setup there is a bit of build up of mud when combining tracks.
Now that is quite a rough opinion but I used this very set-up to produce what I think sounded like a pretty good record.
So we are not talking entry level soudn here the 2882 can produce some really good results.

And on high volume sources elec gtrs drums, the pres are more then acceptable , only on very quiet sources do the pres noise become an issue.

I like the fact that they made a vst version of there control software you can save configurations in the daw as a vst.

I also appreciate how well they have well BJ has programmed the software driver on osx to be seemless.
All in all a good workhorse not a top of the line ad/da but for the dough it is a useful unit.

And I dont wish to detract from the good sound you can get from this box it just seems after a decade that digital audio has come a long way

yet with really good music and mixing/ tracking skills you can produce excellent results with a 2882

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Metric Halo 2882 mobile IO
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search