The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam US-1800

TASCAM US-1800

4.85 4.85 out of 5, based on 9 Reviews

16 input, 4 output USB Audio Interface with 8 XLR Mic Preamps.

22nd January 2012

TASCAM US-1800 by IanMichaelFafard

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Tascam US-1800

The Tascam US-1800 is a 16 in, 4 out USB Audio Interface that has 8 mic preamps and 6 balanced Line inputs all connecting to your Mac or PC via USB 2.0. There are 4 balanced line outputs with separate monitor outputs along with S/PDIF and MIDI ins and outs.

At a price incomparable to anything in its class, the Tascam US-1800 surpasses the input quantities of anything in its price range. With enough inputs to record a band simultaneously, you can quickly and easily capture a live performance while preserving the track isolation for mixing.

When I bought it, I was very surprised at the quality of the preamps. Going from having to use a standalone recorder with a big mixer to one device to take care of my recording needs made setting up for a session very quick and easy. Aside from miking a guitar cabinet with a couple microphones, I can also run a direct input into one of its 2 front instrument inputs along with the bass as well, capturing more tones allowing for more versatility when mixing.

With the Tascam US-1800, you definitely get more for your money and I would recommend it to anyone who is on a budget. Don't settle for a 2 or 4 input interface for the same price if you really have more than just a few things to record at once.

19th February 2013

TASCAM US-1800 by johnnyv

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Tascam US-1800

Freind has this one which replaced the us1641 which I own.
Over all I agree with Ian's review. Best bang for the buck per channel ever. I paid $300. I was only in the market for a 2 channel when I found this for the same price.
It's made of steel! How many others are? They are all plastic.
The conectors are solid and will last at lot longer than most I have used.
It has all the right connections and controls. Nice front panel layout.
Knobs are cheap feeling, they wobble.
I find the pre amps are very quiet and usable. They match up nice with dynamic mikes like SM 57's. For $300 they are better than expected.
The big issue with these is the ASIO drivers can be snarky on some systems. There seems to be a lot of complaints in this reguard.
I myself had issues with XP and Vista 32 bit. But it now works fine under W7 64 bit. The RTL is fair, mine is around 8 to 12 ms depending on clock rate. So not a good unit if you wish to monitor plug in's in real time while recording.. but for that you'll pay $1,000.
Perfect interface for live band recordings.
I have used all 14 audio, Then run my Yamaha 01v into the SPDIF as well as using the MIDI for the Keyboards. So that was 17 tracks at one pass.
We recorded hours and hours over a few months to a P4 laptop with only a few freeze up issues due to the XP drivers. It never stalled during the recordings, just when messing with playback efxs.

11th October 2013

TASCAM US-1800 by Synthsayer

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Tascam US-1800

After owning the TASCAM US1800 Audio/MIDI interface for a full year, I can say I am extremely well pleased with every aspect of it. For it's price class, or any price, it really been a great interface.
The installation is very simple. Once I set the mic gain on the mic inputs; mostly for my drums, instruments or vocals, I never have to touch them again.
The connections are very easily accessed and the number of outputs give me great control room mix configuration features.
I don't have a control room, :-) but this feature lets me route outputs nicely for something as simple as the metronome, or cue mixes.
The TASCAM US1800 has likely been updated, I haven't checked Tascam's web site, lately. I'm not shopping for anything there now :-)
Fro what this unit costs, I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE US1800 to friends and fellow DAW users.
As with most products recently, the comments in other reviews about support, or the lack thereof :-(, is not a big deal. You plug the thing in, read the manual which has great examples of various studio hookup configurations, and you're off to the races!!!

13th March 2014

TASCAM US-1800 by drumstick

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Tascam US-1800

I got mine back in December and have used it to record rock, acoustic, even on the site orchestral stuff and I have to say this really is a great interface. I am pretty new to recording and am a drummer, so the input count was attractive given the price. This was an upgrade from a Presonus Audiobox USB - I think the pre's were a little nicer in the presonus, but I've been able to get really nice sounds out of the Tascam. The only complaint I have is that I have to run the headphone jack into a separate mixer for monitoring while tracking because I just can't get it loud enough directly out of the interface. I'm using high end in-ears and I didn't have this problem with the Presonus, so it's the interface. That's really my only complaint and its an easy work around.

18th March 2014

TASCAM US-1800 by OversizedBass

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Tascam US-1800

This was my first interface, and the last one I'll buy for a long time. What more can you ask for on a $250 unit? It has 16 inputs (8 XLR Inputs w/preamps, 2 1/4" line level or preamped inputs, 4 TRS line level inputs, and 2 SPDIF digital inputs that I utilize with an external A/D converter), 4 analog outputs, plenty of gain on each channel, and a built in headphone jack.

I use this interface regularly to mic full bands, and have never had a problem using it for this purpose. I use Reaper as my DAW, and even though you can use the interface itself for monitoring with zero latency, when routing the channels through Reaper and back out the analog outputs, I still only experience latency of 5-6ms, which is astoundingly low for a USB 2.0 interface.

I have used this unit for 2+ years, and I am completely satisfied with every aspect of it. The sound quality is great, the build quality is sturdy, and the best part by far is the price.

20th March 2014

TASCAM US-1800 by Sam Killian

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Tascam US-1800

I got the Tascam US-1800 as a present for my first interface. after about 6 months using it, i can say that it is by far the most useful piece of gear i own. Definitely a must have especially for drum mics or other bands that require lots of busses. Fantastic and easy to use.

15th August 2014

TASCAM US-1800 by SDR Audio Pro

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Tascam US-1800

If you are thinking about getting a Tascam US-1800 as your audio interface... get one.

For the money, its brilliant. If you need 16 clear/clean pre amped channel inputs with some separate outs that you can control via the DAW to how you use them.

I use the 8 XLR direct ins, the 2 jack ins and then connect the 4 line inputs to my external pre amps. I also use an analogue to digital converter to use the last 2 digital inputs with external pre amps.

Latency has never been a problem, even more impressive as its USB 2.0.

I have had this for over a year now and cant fault it.
Also perfect for a recording rig that needs to be portable with the rack mounting.

15th August 2014

TASCAM US-1800 by SDR Audio Pro

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Tascam US-1800

If you are thinking about getting a Tascam US-1800 as your audio interface... get one.

For the money, its brilliant. If you need 16 clear/clean pre amped channel inputs with some separate outs that you can control via the DAW to how you use them.

I use the 8 XLR direct ins, the 2 jack ins and then connect the 4 line inputs to my external pre amps. I also use an analogue to digital converter to use the last 2 digital inputs with external pre amps.

Latency has never been a problem, even more impressive as its USB 2.0.

I have had this for over a year now and cant fault it.
Also perfect for a recording rig that needs to be portable with the rack mounting.

3rd June 2015

TASCAM US-1800 by iamduh

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Tascam US-1800

So you can read all about the features wherever, but these frequently go on sale.

A few notes on my experience with this:

Drivers were plug-n-play for both Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems--Windows seemed to be able to find the drivers online and install them.

The headphone amp is nice and loud!

This box has served me well through many long sessions of tracking through all the available analog inputs (8 XLR, 6 TRS). It is very reliable, though you might have to set the latency a wee bit higher.

Don't be afraid that this is aging technology, as USB 3 interfaces are JUST starting to be a thing, and USB 2 has served us really well and hasn't really failed us yet.

Make sure you have a good USB cable. Yes, it matters.

10th October 2017

TASCAM US-1800 by Wiley Purchase

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Tascam US-1800

I got my 1800 of •Bay for $150 shipped last fall. It came with the original box and all the original stuff inside and looked like it had never been used. It works perfectly with both my macs - laptop (OSX Lion)and G5 (OSX Leopard). It came with a disk that had the drivers on it plus access to a full version of ableton lite (I think but I didn't bother with it - I use Digital Performer).

I record live bands with my macbook and then put the files into the G5 tower to mix. I have a mackie 1202 and I use the four mike preamp direct outs into the four line inputs in the back of the Tascam for 12 live mikes. It works great. And I still have inputs for a bass line and a line off the PA board.

I was so impressed with it that when I saw a Tascam 1641 on craigslist I bought it for $80! The only difference is the colors and one has a power brick and one has a built it power supply. The mac drivers are available free on the Tascam website and they are different so you need to download both of them but they make the machine work perfectly. I can also gang the two of them together into the G5 for a whopping 16 live mikes if I want.

My only negative is I have to use the mackie's headphone out because the tascams don't quite get loud enough to get over a room's noise level but basically once the channel levels are set I don't have to monitor all the time anyway.

Prices on these are going down all the time. If you see one for $100, check it out. It's well worth it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Tascam US-1800
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search