The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adam A7

ADAM Audio A7

3.85 3.85 out of 5, based on 12 Reviews

The A7 from Adam Audio is a high-quality 2-way active nearfield monitor. It offers the Adam A.R.T. (ribbon) tweeter combined with a 6.5 inch carbon-fiber woofer giving great detail and imaging. More surprising is the low cost!

19th January 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by asdfdsa

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Adam A7

The A7 features an XLR and an RCA connector and front-panel volume control as well as rear-panel controls for tweeter level and high and low frequency shelving filters. The speaker is powered by two 50W amps, which don't seem to lack any power in volume or bass output. The ported cabinets are rather deep, allowing for extended low end, and are constructed very well.

Using these monitors, I was able to hear deeper and clearer than ever before. Though the imaging isn't as ''wide'' on these monitors as say headphones are (but of course no monitors are) they are close! The depth, scope and clarity revealed in the speakers is simply great! Compression became more accurate in both mixing, and in trying to hear during reference listening. Reverb tails and delays became clearer as you could hear them fading out those extra ms. The bass on these go pretty low (down to 46hz), bass lines and kick drums give ample boom to where you don't even have to turn these speakers up to get some nice thump in your chest. The high-end of these monitors is so clear it is stunning, very revealing of harsh-mixes or EQ work, you can hear it right when you get it right on these speakers. The frequency range goes up to 35khz thanks to the ribbon tweeter technology.

The midrange is an issue with many monitors, but not these. The mids are neither bumped nor scooped, but appear very flat and accurate - no mud - as does the full spectrum of this speaker, with a little roll-off on the low-end. I ran a 'real-world' test by passing bass fundamentals through them, and 50hz is about as low as you get for most usable applications... but really, there isn't a need below that, unless you're doing club music and you'll need a sub anyway.

Overall, listening to reference material, you can really sense the imaging and hear where all the pieces of a mix sit, this translates very well during mixing, and will definitely help in pin-pointing problem areas. I wound not characterize their sound by being either 'warm' or 'crystalline', but simply open and clear.

These are great value monitors, and probably the best bang-buck in their class, these and their bigger brother the A7X. These go for less than the A7X, with a bit less bass-response and dynamic range, though I tend to prefer the accuracy of the mids in the A7 just a tad bit over the A7X, and definitely like saving a few hundred dollars.

In the end, I think everyone will see these as money well spent in their studio and I certainly recommend them! I'd say these just reach the threshold of 'higher end' near-field monitors and really think they give the most value for the quality.

Thanks for reading, go give them a listen!

11th February 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by mahasandi

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Adam A7

I recently sold my pair of original a7's

They do provide a good picture of the mid range .And the ribbon highs are sweet.
That ribbon tweeter design is great and I feel like the overall picture of these monitors is very translatable.
Except for the lows and low mids in comparison to most two way design near fields I think the adams do fine .
If you want to add a sub to extend the lows and get a more complete picture I think it can help.
However for near field; traditional near field duty, they are pretty good.

Monitors are however you eyes or glasses, and though this was said to me many times I ignored it.I think learning a monitor is crucial and I found the A7's easier to work with then my previous near fields, Genelec 1030a's.

They were hyped and difficult to translate for me.
A good small speaker like an aura tone might also be a good compliment for the a7's , i use a studer speaker on my tape machine which is really as good as that kind of mono small reference speaker gets.

At any rate the hard part about the adams for me in a treated room was being sure about decisions in the lows , so I added a sub, you might be fine but that was my issue with them.

All in all a solid choice. though it pays the price of the speaker to check out a few different monitors before buying no words really capture....

1st March 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by M.O.D

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Adam A7

Despite the fact Adam updated the A7 monitors in 2010 to make the A7X, the original A7’s without a shadow of a doubt is what brought the company to the forefront of budget studio monitors.
Around 2008/09 I personally felt the Adam A7’s had reached such a level of high praise from various sources including Sound on Sound and the internet (including here on Gearslutz) that they were quickly becoming a new "industry standard" (if the term is still used anymore).
In terms of sound quality, the A7 monitors are constantly praised for their open and clear presentation of high frequencies. Boasting a frequency range of 46Hz-35 kHz, the mid and high frequency range is where it excels realistically when you look at the size of them. To complete the frequency spectrum and really hear the sub-bass rumble/thumping frequencies it would be recommended to pair the monitors with a sub such as the Adam Sub8 or KRK 10s.
Nevertheless, the A7’s do pack a sensible amount of low end and a clear and smooth mid-range which is vitally important when the majority of your instruments being mixed will occupy this space. It goes without saying you can’t mention the A7’s without mentioning the A.R.T. (Accelerating Ribbon Technology) tweeter which ensures that they will be compatible with any expanded high frequency resolution media while also helping to provide those crystal clear high-end frequencies that bring out even the small nuances without fatiguing your ear during a long session.
When Sound on Sound leaves a review that states "If Darth Vader needed a nearfield monitor, he'd probably choose Adam based on the styling alone!" you know you’re in for a treat.
Some of the features found on the back of the A7’s include a control panel that allows for detailed fine-tuning of the loudspeakers to the room acoustics and personal preferences. While maybe not as open for control/manipulation as other monitors I still think for a pair of budget monitors they are sufficient enough to do the job.
At the time of my purchase, a pair of the Adam A7 monitors cost ~£700. In terms of a quality to price ratio I certainly feel this maxes out the idea of “Bang for Buck”
Overall, the original Adam A7 monitors are perfectly suited to give precise, high resolution audio reproduction in small control rooms and project studios. While probably a little hard to find in stores these days the overwhelming positive feedback they always seemed to receive should be a great indication that the new A7X will continue on with the high quality standard that Adam have placed before themselves.

3rd March 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by VictorM

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Adam A7

When I got the A7s, I moved up from Alesis M1 Active Mk2. Since then my ears never stopped thanking me. I heard lots of speakers around studios and I can honestly say that in the near-field low priced category these Adams are by far the best choice for nearly any genre.

XLR & RCA inputs & room placement compensation on the back, volume knob on the front, silky smooth ART tweeter that never tires my ears. The one thing I did notice is that they struggle with bottom heavy electronic music. I produce techno & house so I decided to get the Sub8 and again that was a very wise decision. I recognise these genres are not the most appealing for the Adams, but they seem to have a liking to indie, pop and in general more laid back music. The stereo image just seems a lot better and revealing on these styles.

Anyway, the Adams translate very well on a lot of speakers. I mix & master a lot and sometime I ask the clients to join in on the sessions, they can't believe how crap their material sounds. It doesn't take a lot of time to get used to their sound either. I had a lot more trouble "learning" Dynaudios than the Adams.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of taste but for the main pair of near-fields, I'd recommend the Adams. After hearing them, 3 friends of mine decided to get the A5X and they're very happy with their choices as well.

3rd March 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by jtees

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Adam A7

I have owned the Adam A7's for around 3 years now. They are a great sounding speaker, very detailed. especially in the higher frequencies.

These are active speakers, very easy to set up. They feature a simple power on/off button, a volume control knob and a balanced XLR input or unbalanced RCA input. They're well built, look great and definitely sound great.

The mids are clear, I can hear things that don't appear on other listening systems. Great for when eqing individual elements of a mix. The high's are quite exaggerated, however once you get to know these speakers and do a few mixes on them, I don't believe it's a problem.

I think they handle bass quite well. I've recently teamed them up with a sub, which I admit, has helped when mixing bass heavy genres. However if you are using the A7's in a small room I don't think an additional sub is a necessity.

Being a ribbon speaker they may be a little too bright for some people, however I believe these, with the addition of a second set of reference monitors (such as the ns 10's) is a great, bang for your buck, monitor solution for smaller listening rooms.

Jon

18th March 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by felix

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Adam A7

Let me start by acknowledging that there is a bit of subjectivity and variables in rating monitors. However, my conclusions seemed to be much different than expected, thus, I feel this is worth making into a review.
These monitors are amazing for what I paid! I have been using them for about 5 years. About a few months ago, I did some side-by-side comparisons to other newer monitors such as the new Adam A7X, Dynaudio, Genelec, and Neuman.
I was really expecting the new A7X to really blow my mind based on all the hype- new improved tweeters, larger bass drivers and cabinet design, more power... The tweeters were noticeably more detailed and extended. However, I still preferred the realism and character (while not in a flattering way) of my original A7s. And though the bass on the A7X's were deeper and more present, it was kind of muddy in the lower mids- not clean pure sounding bass. On some material, there was some impressive lower bass coming through.
Overall, my original A7s were more honest and listenable. By making some adjustments to the tone controls I was able to have them match up somewhat to the A7X bass output, though obviously not quite as open and large sounding. If I want that kind of bass, I'd be better off with a good sub than with the A7X.
As far as the Dynaudio... not even the same class in my opinion. Especially the way the tweeters sounded- kind of "phasey", as in out of phase sounding if that makes sense.
The Neumans sounded great in some ways- mainly the incredible dimension and imaging and also there size and portability, but after listening back and forth, I still much preferred my original A7s.
I didn't like the Genelec 8030As in comparison. However, I was surprisingly impressed with the 6010As! Not better than the A7s, but quite usable for a small portable on-the-go, or second pair using the same sub as the Adams...
In conclusion, I listened to hear if some of these new active monitors I've read so much hype on would be worth replacing my A7s with. I wound up deciding to keep them and maybe get a sub in the near future.

31st March 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by towerofpure

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Adam A7

Adam Audio A7's

Overview

Question: What are they?

Answer: The A7's are active two way front port nearfield monitors. German engineered, China assembled, thus the affordable price. The speakers are 6.5“ Rohacell/carbon fiber woofer and a ART (35kHz) ribbon tweeter, both powered by two 50 W amplifiers (one per driver). On the front panel you'll find the volume control and the power switch. On the rear you will find XLR (balanced) and RCA (unbalanced) input connectors, power cable input, 4dB plus and minus tweeter level control, 6dB plus and minus Hi and Lo shelving at 6kHz Hi and 150 Hz Lo and a voltage changer switch. The A7's are magnetically shielded.

In Use

Question: So...What do I do with them?

Answer: Well...I can't tell you what to do with them, heck you can use em for foot stools if you like, but as sure as eggs is eggs, I can tell you what I like to do with them. Anytime that I need to critically listen to audio in it's full frequency and accuracy, I turn on the Adam A7's. Since owning these speakers my mixes translate universally, isn't that what we all want from our nearfield monitors. Universal cohesion, from boom box to car stereo to high end audio systems, no surprises, the truth. Now, that being said, I must let you know that all of my experience with the A7's have been in a treated and controlled listening environment. If you want the truth serum to work, there are a couple of rules that you must follow. 1) Treat your rooms folks, rather you're listening to a $5 Toys R Us speaker or a $5,000 professional monitor, you won't hear the truth from that speaker until your room is properly treated. 2) There are +- 6dB Hi Lo shelving, +- 4dB tweeter adjustment on the rear and a volume pot on the front, please use them. If the tweeter is a little too present, tweak it. If the tweeter isn't present enough tweak it...you get my point, use your “tweakers”, they are there for your pleasure. I personally find that the monitors seems to breath a little better when the volume pots are set just shy of -8dB, but hey, that's just my opinion. So... “treat and tweak”, easy to remember. Treat your room, tweak your speakers, and you too might find the the A7's do exactly what they are supposed to do, tell the truth.

Pros & Cons

Gripes, Groovies, Grumbles & Greats!

Gripes & Grumbles: The build quality is poor. The fist pair that I owned were defective (unexplained noises) , sent them back to the store within 30 days in exchange for another pair. I've had to replace the woofer and tweeter (more unexplained noise) on one of the monitors within six months of receiving new ones. To be clear, I don't monitor at loud volumes, so I'm not just destroying speakers. I had to replace the “on-off” switch after about a year 1/2 of usage. However, Adam Audio sent me one free of charge even though my warranty had already expired. I don't use the “on-off” switch anymore, I use a power strip to turn them on and off.

Groovies & Greats: Mixes translate very well. Oh...I almost forgot, the mixes translate very well. Did I mention that the mixes translate very well?

Summary

Question: How would you describe your relationship with the A7's ?

A. Going Steady

B. One Night Stand

C. Serious Commitment

D. None of the above

Answer: Sort of like my first kiss, the A7's are real confidence boosters. I'm a changed man since mixing on these speakers, but you ask the question, how serious? I guess you could say we're going steady for now, but when the A7's don't want to put out, I've learned to keep a pair of “that other brand” on the side (the dependable ones) although the A7's still remain my first choice. This relationship is somewhat dysfunctional. The A7's have abandoned me in times of need...yep, left me high and dry, but I keep coming back for more. When they're working, they are the best. I love them but I just don't trust them (mechanically that is). Until I find a monitor (in this price range) that does what the A7 does without needing repair every year, me and the A7's are going to make it work.

30th April 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by ChampionsProd

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Adam A7

Construction : On this monitors you can find the german high quality..With 6.5" woofer and ART ribbon tweeter you will get 46khz to 35 khz freq range..

Sound : great sound with excellent stereo image , on the mid low you can find that they have a hole sometimes and the high freq are a little bit strident for my taste...
I think this is a taste issue because the preferences are different from an engineer to another...

Coclusion : in general Adam a7 gathers all you need for a good mix.. Go on the stores and listen to them...You will be plased...BUY THEM

4th August 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by meatballragu

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
Adam A7

I worked for years with A7.

I had to work very hard to clean 150hz-600hz in order to get mixes that soud ok in most places. I though it was just hard to get.

Then I tried other boxes: focal an K+H... Huge revelation to me. Now it takes me half of the time to get much better mixes.

I had the chance to compare the 3 speaker sets in my studio and in two other studios with different dimensions etc. I wanted to know if the problem was my room (although every available acoustical measurements / corrections had been done).

At every places, my mixes sounded great in the A7 or A7x, while the focal and K+H (and also barefoot) were revealing a lot of residual problems in the 150-600hz area.

I also had Adam'S bigger S3X in my studio for a month. Same problem.

My personal conclusion: A7 and A7x are hiding (frankly, I don't understand how) low-mid mud. This led me to get satisfied with mixes I would never let go now, as the problems sounds so obvious (and so easy to fix) on K+H O300 and Focals twin or solo.

Hope it will help other people.

4th August 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by ttown23

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Adam A7

I had a pair for 5 years.

Bottom line, they are great if you are on a tight budget. I personally like the ribbon tweeter (very efficient) and thought they were great in the highs.

The lows are a bit anemic, but usable.

My biggest issue was the midrange blur on these. It makes it very hard to get an accurate midrange image. I would prefer the Dynaudio BM6A Mk1 in this regard.

Then I went all out and got the FOCAL SM-8s. Wow, now that's revealing!!!

15th August 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by Drop D

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Adam A7

I've owned a pair of these for a couple of years now and here's my take:

-The high end is very crisp and detailed due to the ribbon tweeters.
-They are well made (as are most electronics manufactured in Germany).
-Decent for monitoring mids.
-Simple to use - on/off one main volume knob on each speaker.
-Both balanced and unbalanced inputs.
-They have controls in the back for adjusting to room eq.

Now here's the problem and it's kind of a dealbreaker for me:
-The low end frequencies are simply not accurate.

There is a whole topic in itself but the issue is that they are ported (bass reflex). And yes, I am generalizing here.
This ported (bass reflex) concept was introduced for the same reason that they use huge frequency ranges in stock synth sounds in keyboards - because it sounds good in the stores which moved product.

When I got them to my mix environment I found the whole low end frequency response had been compromised and I wasn't get accurate low end representation for my mixes.

Luckily the controls in the back allow for compensation and when I mix at reasonably low volumes I can now get close to the results I initally expected but overall I still find I am fine tuning after cross referencing a lot more than I was when I had non-ported near field monitors.

23rd August 2012

ADAM Audio A7 by jcc449

• Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
Adam A7

Adam speakers do sound like an accurate & details speaker.

Quote that word "sound like" which means they are not in fact.

They give a lot of preference focus, but that doesn't mean they translate honestly. (especially on low end).

A7 provides a lot of features but it didn't QC well enough. Multiple users are friends of mine and report to experience power switch break down. Two users experienced Port Noise.

Also, ADAM never provide frequency response for any of their speakers. This makes me wonder if they ever test/calibrate their speakers at all.

Adam speakers are not work horse. They don't work for long period of time compare to Genelec or even Yamaha NS10M.

yes Adam A7 might be a ok choice against other speakers at $800 ranges.

but i don't think Adam A7 beats Yamaha MSP7.

because Yamaha MSP7 is a super working horse. (much better QC)

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search