The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-Audio SP5B

M-Audio SP5B

2.4 2.4 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

If you need compact, lousy sounding speakers, these are them.

18th January 2012

M-Audio SP5B by imagineaudio

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1
M-Audio SP5B

These things are small, terrible sounding speakers that don't translate anywhere.

Sound Quality: The graph in the manual looks nice and flat until you realize that it is only showing you above 200hz. These things have NO low end. It's impossible to get your bottom end translating at all. Too much mush and attenuation below 200hz to effectively mix your bass with your kick. I've spent 10 years with these things and they still don't translate. These have caused me to evolve as a mixer way more slowly than I should have. Not only did I waste my money on these, I've wasted my LIFE. Certainly the most expensive budget gear I've ever heard of in terms of how they've held me back.

Ease of Use: Well, easy to set up and get sound, but impossible to "use," if your definition is "using them to mix."

Features: They have a volume knob and a bizarre tweeter that pivots, useless feature, methinks.

Bang for Buck: I would have been better taking $400 and throwing it in the trash, but at least they've saved me untold amounts of money on other m-audio products. These are so crappy, I won't even consider buying another M-audio product as long as I live.

4 weeks ago

M-Audio SP5B by deemic

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
M-Audio SP5B

I've had the SP5B's for 13 years now.
Over that time I've used them to mix more songs than I can't count.
As others have mentioned, these monitors are FLAT from 200hz up.
For guitar heavy music this translates pretty well if you realize that these are tuned to "sound better", more than they actually provide truth in the mix.
I ended up using them with a sub for playback only eventually as they were passed by numerous other offerings in the course of the past decade, that provide much better translation for mixing, mastering and producing.
I have to give them this though...
For the $140.00 I paid for the pair, I have gotten my moneys worth out of them 10 fold.
They still work perfectly to this day despite moving several times and being hammered continuously at high output levels.
I've since moved on to Mackies, JBL's and now Yamaha HS8's over time, but I'll keep the SP5B's for nostalgia reasons, and because they simply keep working, and working well!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search