The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Frontier Tranzport

Frontier Design Tranzport

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Frontier Tranzport is a must-have piece for musician engineers.

17th January 2012

Frontier Design Tranzport by diamondjim

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Frontier Tranzport

The Frontier Designs Tranzport is one of those items that i would never sell. Its indispensable for recording musicians especially when working solo in the studio.

I use it with both SONAR and Protools when tracking. I can arm, disarm, mute, record, go to markers, undo, advance the timeline forward and back in increments and using the dial, all while sitting in front of the mic.

There is nothing that kills your muse more than having to take off the phones, get up and walk to the DAW, futz around with the take, go back and repeat the process over and over.

The Tranzport allows you to quickly redo takes, undo, move to different points in the song using markers, and even create markers on the fly.

Its one of the most cost-effective and useful investments I have made yet.

I also use their AlphaTrack controller when at the DAW, but it lacks a few key features such as Undo. Somethings when tracking a client I will use the Tranzport when sitting at the DAW, as I can start and stop tracking while keeping contact with the performer (normally I would have my back turned). The only drawback I can find is that its is limited to about 30 feet of distance from the receiver. That has not proved to be a problem yet in my small studio, but could be a problem in large studios.

The setup is simple, but I would recommend getting the latest drivers from the Frontier Audio web site. You install both the general driver and specific ones for controlling the various DAW's that you use.

The receiver end plugs in via USB, and you can switch protocols after installing the driver by using a tray application, right-click, and switch between Native (used for Sonar), and HUI for Protools and other DAWS. You don't have to relaunch the DAW application, so if you move from one DAW to the other frequently, as I sometimes do, its a simple matter to switch the protocol if you forget.

JUST A NOTE TO THE WEBMASTER- There is a bug on this web page, it won't accept "n/a" for sound quality, I have to enter something here. Sound quality is not relevant here.

Also we need a new category added for "DAW Controllers". So I put this under "Consoles" but it really belongs in its own category.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Frontier Tranzport
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search