The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ShinyBox 46MXL

ShinyBox Studio Electronics 46MXL

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Fantastic Performance/Price Ribbon Microphone

17th January 2012

ShinyBox Studio Electronics 46MXL by Runnytofu

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
ShinyBox 46MXL

I picked up a pair of these microphones a couple of years ago after doing a large amount of comparison shopping for ribbon mics over the internet, and I must say, based on a purely cost-to-performance ratio, these are probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. For those of you who don't know, they're a long element ribbon mic, similar to what you'd expect to find in a RCA 77, I would say, rather than something like a Royer, which uses a short element ribbon. They come with three different output transformer options; Their own design, a Cinemag, and a Lundahl; I chose the Lundahl. I've found many different uses for them: electric guitar (This pairs with a 57 pretty much perfectly); horns (a ribbon specialty); I've used it to tame a screechy fiddle player, which it did admirably; drums (this mic is a great front-of-kit mic, about 5 feet in front of the kit, about 4 feet from the ground); certain vocalists (Had a great old time-country female singer who this mic gave a great vintage vibe to). I certainly wouldn't hesitate to try it on any source; while it might not always be the ideal mic for the job, it's seldom bad, and often interesting. The usual caveats apply when using Ribbon mics, avoid phantom, be careful to avoid any plosive sounds (it's got a multi-layer mesh headbasket to help with gusts of wind, but I'd still keep it away from kick drums), and pair it with a preamp that has a fair amount of gain (I usually pair it with my Avedis MA5s). My only gripe is the shockmount that it comes with isn't of the highest quality, and requires a bit of fiddling to get it to screw into, but that's a fairly minor quibble. All of the other accessories that come with it are great. It comes with a hard case designed to hold it upright to help prevent ribbon sag, and a padded zip up bag which is great.

Hope this has been a helpful review, and if you have any further questions, feel free to contact me here.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... ShinyBox 46MXL
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search