The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProAc Studio 115

ProAc Studio 115

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

ProAc is UK manufacturer mostly known to mixing engineers as makers of ProAc Studio 100 passive studio monitors. ProAc Studio 115 is newly designed passive studio monitor and when I got them to listen in my modest home studio setup I didn't know what to expect.

17th January 2012

ProAc Studio 115 by Veseli

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
ProAc Studio 115

I'm not experienced reviewer at all but I'm gonna try to describe how did ProAc Studio 115 test session go.
My previous home-studio setup were Genelec's 1030A and pair of Yamaha NS10 powered by Yamaha A100 amp. I've never heard ProAc Studio 100 monitors, or any other from their line so I really didn't know what to hope for.
So, at first I hooked the ProAc Studio 115's to my Yamaha A100 amplifier as I didn't have any other choice. And like this I could compare them to Genelecs.
The ProAc dealer here was so kind to supply two pieces of very good speaker cable from Chord, I think it's called "Silver Screen", so I was ready to go.
First impression was stunning. I played Thomas Dolby's "The Flat Earth" CD and immediately was struck with large and incredibly detailed sound stage which remained entirely in phase and whole as I walked across the entire room, not just at sweet spot. My control room is well treated so no excess of bass or any other frequency could spoil the party. Comparing ProAc Studio 115's with Genelec's 1030A was even more surprising.
The difference between these two sounded to me a bit like difference you experience when you switch between Genelec's and Yamahas NS10.
Immediately I've noticed how distorted and phazey in upper mid range Genelec sounded and how shrinked is the sound stage and depth comparing to ProAc's. And they have the same size 6.5" bass driver.
The next day I got a nice hi-fi amplifier to test the ProAcs with. It's Cyrus 6XP. 2X 40 Watts. Considering that neither the speakers nor amplifier was working any hours before I got them I made a 24 hours playlist for a couple of days to "burnout" a little before I continue to test further.

Now new amplifier was what have boosted the impressions even further.
I was again surprised by transparency and clarity of sound. The sound became so vivid and live around the room that I had to stuff a sleeping bag inside of upright piano to stop the strings from vibrating and remove all other acoustic instruments from the room as they started to resonate too loud and that wasn't a case before.

Running a pink and white noise tests, analyzer screen revealed that speakers are really performing as flat as they say in specs. With old Sennheiser MD321 measurement mic I saw that they start at 30 Hz at minus 10 then climb up to zero at 40 Hz and stay flat up to 20 kHz (my analyzer was limited to 20 kHz so probably is the mic) plus-minus 1db. I have noticed that minus 1 drop is most consistent in range between 2 kHz and 4 kHz but thats not at all an issue once when I'm used to mix on ProAc's.
Running the individual frequencies from signal generator within ProTools revealed that only a 85 Hz note has a slight 4db drop comparing to all others in my room.

I did a quick test mix then. I mixed the drum track I already mixed before and it took me an hour and half to try to fill up those speakers and make the drum kit sound big, fat and punchy. When I checked the mix on other speakers I was surprised how well it translated and learned how I could be more at ease on some frequencies which I used to cut heavily as they sounded too dominant on Genelec's. Anyway, sure I need to spend more time mixing on ProAcs to know them better.

Not to sweet the cake any further, the same day I decided to put my Genelec's up for a sale and start saving for a good amplifier to power the ProAc Studio 115's. Cyrus 6XP is great, but I would love to test few more before I make my choice.

Now I should put some technical details I suppose:

Nominal Impedance
8 ohms
Recommended Amplifiers
15 to 150 watts
Frequency Response
30hz to 30Khz
Sensitivity
88.5 dB linear for 1 watt at 1 metre
Bass Driver
6.5" (165mm) ProAc unit with carbon filled polyproalene cone & high linear spider..
Tweeter
0.75" all new ProAc silk dome.
Crossover
HQ network using the finest components with option for bi wiring / bi-amping and utilising oxygen free cable..
Dimensions
Height: 15.2" (380mm)
Width: 7.6" (190mm)
Depth: 9.64" (241mm) with grill
Weight
8.9kg each unpacked.
Mode
Stand Mounted
Grille
Acoustically transparent crimplene
Finish
Black Ash, Mahogany, Cherry and Maple.

Voila. Definitely fell in love with 115's. They have brought new excitement listening and working with music in my control room.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... ProAc Studio 115
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search