The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyerdynamic M99

Beyerdynamic M99

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Large diaphram broadcast/kick drum mic.

16th January 2012

Beyerdynamic M99 by creative.control

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Beyerdynamic M99

Beyerdynamic's M99 is a large diaphram dynamic (moving coil) microphone specifically tailored for instruments and broadcast vocals.

The overall frequency response of the microphone is quite wide, ranging from 30hz to 18khz, so it's well suited to picking up low end, specifically kick drum.

It has a hypercardiod pickup pattern and switches, which allow the microphone to change from a linear (flat) frequency response to 2 different "eq" settings; a general presence lift or kick drum style eq.

The microphone comes with a shock mount clip and exudes Beyerdynamic quality, with gold xlr connectors.

I bought this mic specifically for kick drum, I heard a Beyerdynamic TGX kick drum mic live and was immediately sold on it's quality of sound.

After going through a wide range of kick drum mics over several years, including AKG D112, Audix D6, Electro Voice RE20, Heil PR40, Shure Beta 52 etc, I couldn't quite settle on one that I was very happy with, be it sonically or build quality wise.

I really think the M99 is in a league of its own and seems to be a bit of a rare gem. The mic can be flat and neutral or crisp and defined with the flick of a switch and always does a great job of isolating the kick from the rest of the kit without any nasty off axis artifacts.

Well worth checking out if the industry standard microphones don't seem to be performing the way you wan't them to.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Beyerdynamic M99
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search