The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Superlux s502

Superlux S502

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Superlux s502 ORTF microphone

16th January 2012

Superlux S502 by organism

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Superlux s502

Let's start by saying this is an extremely cheap microphone - Thomann currently stock it for 95 Euro. There have been a number of issues reported with this microphone - crackling capsules etc, particularly with high humidity. I've been fortunate to have no problems with mine, but have only used it on three sessions so far.

I have found that it really shines on choral recordings - I had the opportunity to compare it against two Schoeps MK4s in ORTF config, and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I'm certainly not saying the Superlux is in the Schoeps league, but I found it to be detailed, crisp and with the pinpoint stereo imaging you expect from a good ORTF mic.

I have also used this on two location sessions recording different organs - both in fairly dry acoustics, and the s502 really shone as the main pair - plenty of detail, but naturally I found I need use a pair of omnis to capture more of the room and bass from the pedals.

BTW - Features scores is a 1 - not a criticism, but it is an ORTF mic with no options!

I really can't recommend this mic enough - provided that you buy it realising it is a cheap mic with potential issues!

8th March 2012

Superlux S502 by VanDaven

Superlux s502

I can only agree, as a long-time Schoeps user (at work), the s502 doesn't make me miss a lot, I daresay it gives me 85% of the MSTC64Ug at a fraction of the price. Somehow intimidating, as it is the cheapest microphone I personally own. Purchased it a while ago for fun, surprisingly detailed sound. Didn't break down yet, btw. Maybe they changed the manufacturing irregularities in the meantime?

9th March 2012

Superlux S502 by AudioHipster

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Superlux s502

The S 502 ORTF mic is just a lovely mic picks up a stereo image.. in a gorgeous way... and has good depth, and balance, the floor noise seems a tad louder then the spec's show... but worked very nice even on acoustic... the small stereo cable that comes with the mic, could give trouble (they gotta cut corners somewhere to sell them as loW$$ as they go) in other words if you move the mic and it gives you any popping and cracking.. it is most likely the short Y cable... the connectors look good quality... so i was going to rewire ours with Mogami Mini Quad mic wire... use good silver: Cardas Quad Eutectic solder, WonderSolder...

Really don't know why other mic manufactures have not made a ORTF??? it just sounds good... it's easy and convenient to get a great stereo image, $95 Euros is insane pricing... like we know they are set up as DISTRIBUTORS ... Freak... lets just pay $2 for sex ... they say you get what you pay for... but who are they actually??? i have yet to find out... anywho in this case it is not like buying a part for your Mini Cooper and after driving 28,000 miles.. a'h and yes your engine is fry'd, after your timing chain blew-up or your Dampener flew off and killed someone behind you... and it ain't that you paid 20,000 times the price for a somewhat balanced separating piece of S*it cog... (when you could have bought a after market liquid filled perfectly balanced and would never separate... oh my God and we could have saved 100$ and not killed that innocent person behind us) but in this case i think what you pay for... you get a lot more... then that 2$ w... anyways just a great stereo microphone... worth every penny & most lovely on orchestra recordings... ORTF man whats to say, I like it, & me's not even from France... worked for Peugeot altho... could not get any peugeot while in school... but 51 now and the wife is 8 weeks pregnant... Little Noah is just elated... Cheers Doyen's Opinions

Attached Files

Drums fat attack 2.mp3 (6.65 MB, 1782 views)

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Superlux s502
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search