The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 2408 MKII
4.3 4.3 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Low latency, PCI-connected interface with expansion of up to 24 channels of simultaneous I/O.

16th January 2012

MOTU 2408mkII by Insain

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Motu 2408 MKII

This is a expandable, PCI-connected interface that works great (at least for me) in live situations and does everything I need it to do. The MOTU connects via a PCI-424 card (Same as the MK3) which can be hooked up to another three Motu 2408 MKII's to allow 72 channels of I/O simultaneous audio (The 2408 MKIII and HD192 use the same PCI Card).

The Motu MkII itself has three light pipe audio ports, allowing 24 I/O channels of ADAT or 24 I/O channels of Tascam TDIF digital. It also has a stereo S/PDIF I/O with an extra S/PDIF out. All of the main outs on the Motu are quarter-inch balanced; and each input/output on the Motu has a +4db "line level" or -10db 'switch' controlled by an internal plastic jumper. There is a I/O Word clock connection.

The 2408 MKII supports 16-bit and 24-bit recording at 44.1 or 48 kHz. The recording quality, in my opinion, is great; as I do not hear any coloring done by the Motu. The drivers for the PCI card work great on XP, I cannot speak for Win7-Vista-OS. The prices on the Motu are wild, I picked up mine for 150$ but there are some selling for 300$.

It fits its purpose in Austin TX, where I record only live audio. It has been through hell and back in a case and still works like a charm. The only problem I have with it is the fire wire cable between the PCI card and the Motu itself has the connector to the Motu looking a little flimsy, like it could fall out. It has never happened to me before, but it always makes me a little nervous.

17th January 2012

MOTU 2408mkII by rosemeister

Motu 2408 MKII

Does anybody use this converter in the studio with a console?

17th January 2012

MOTU 2408mkII by Radiogal

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Motu 2408 MKII

Yes I use it on a console. See my signature.
I have the MKIII the MKII and the 24 I/O.

MKII is connected in my system but use it only when I need those 8 analog I/Os as extras.
However the difference between the MKII and MKII is significant.
MKIII is a true upgrade and is sounding so much better than the MKII.

The 2408 are reliable and wonderful to work with. So many different connectors: Tascam, TOS and analog I/O. I´ve used all of these from time to time.

My review score is about the 2408MKII.

If the review would have been about the 2408 MKIII the score would show 100%.
FYI the 24 I/O and the MKIII do have the same high soundquality and do sound equal.

30th March 2012

MOTU 2408mkII by monoman76

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Motu 2408 MKII

I run an motu 2408 mk2 system in my studio because i like the possibility the connect everything a want. The converters are not high end but ok for special things(like dark guitars).
It is a total workhorse and absolut cool when you need a lot of channels.
The drivers are rock solid and i never had any problems with the software. The only thing i don´t like is the clock. I run an external clock and thet is a much better result.
I like the motu very muck and it is a good sytem for your daily work. Go for it ;-)

3rd April 2012

MOTU 2408mkII by GoldMember

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Motu 2408 MKII

the MK1 had RCA Input & Output connectors for the Analog audio.
the MK2 changed to female 1/4" TRS.

it had a PCI card and a PCIe was also developed.
it connects with a cable similar to FireWire but is not, the Moru 2408MK1/2/3 interfaces cannot be connected to FW.
up to 4x interfaces can be added to a single PCI card..

the ASIO drivers were OK, but at low latency they eat CPU, WDM drivers can be used for Surround AC3 decoding, unlike Digi001/002 that cannot.

to download the drivers must be registered in the Motu website.
and Owners Manual if needed, must be purchased hard printed copy & cannot be downloaded as a PDF.

the PCI card & drivers were sensible to motherboard chipset.
Intel chipsets needed a INF installer.

i liked the sound of the AD/DA converters. not the best in the world but better than Tascam DA-30MK2, "i was using a bad s/pdif cable, so who knows ..."

the internal clock in the MK2/pci-324 is not the best... they sound a lot better with an external clock.. the MK2 its limited to 48KHz. MK3 to 96khz.
the New MK3 clock is DDS, similar to RME SteadyClock(TM), not the best either.

because Analog I/Os are DC coupled, it can be used with MOTU Volta software, and Expert Sleepers Silent Way VST plugins, to control Analog Hardware Modular Synths with CV.
that was a very nice idea that keept old Motu hardware away from trash.

in its time was the competition of the Digi001,
but the 2408MK2 does not have Mic-pre or Midi I/O.

it could be used as a stand alone format converter between ADAT or Tascam TDIF, settings must be made with front panel push buittons.