The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apex 450

Apex Electronics 450

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great, low end externally powered tube microphone.

16th January 2012

Apex Electronics 450 by Insain

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Apex 450

This was my first tube microphone ever, and I am glad that it was. The Apex 450 is a very versatile tube microphone, driven by a external power supply. The power supply connects to the microphone by a 7-pin XLR cable wrapped in a nice synthetic cloth wrap. The power supply requires an IEC 320 Male power cable. The microphone itself is fairly heavy (you will need a nice stand), and very well built. The original package came in a nice locking case, with power supply, 20ft 7-pin XLR cable, shock mount, and microphone in a carry bag. The cable and where it connects to on the microphone is fairly weak so strain is to be welly avoided with the cable.

The main feature of this microphone is its power supply; which has a knob that cycle through its various polar patterns. Each major polar pattern (omni, cardioid, and figure eight) has three 'notches' between it and another polar pattern; so you can have a mix between omni, and cardioid OR cardioid and figure eight etc..

The microphone itself is a very heavy, reliable microphone with great sounding accents in the lower frequency spectrum (nothing "muddy", very light accent) and a clear higher frequency pickup. It has a high pass switch, and a -10 DB switch on the microphone itself.

I picked up my Apex 450 off Craigslist for 100$, and found one online for 250$. These are discontinued, and it is VERY hard to find any information about them at all (the Apex website doesn't even have the manual).

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Apex 450
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search