The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer: MIC2200 Ultragain Pro

Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200

2.65 2.65 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Vacuum Tube Microphone/Line Preamplifier

14th January 2012

Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200 by Sim

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1

So possibly one of the worst stereo tube preamps around. Typical behringer. It even has leds behind the tube to make it look like it's glowing hot.

I bought this when I was young and stupid (still am) someone convinced me behringer was pretty good and that only tubes sound good. I've since learnt a lot more about gear. Anyhow I bought one used about a month after they became available in shops just shows you how bad they are.

It's noisy, it's distorts something nasty, it's like someones thrown a blanket over your signal. It's pretty easy to find bad reviews of this pre. I'm not going to go through the features as it's that bad it's not worth talking about. I think the only thing good on it was the gold plated connectors. The knob's feel like they're not attached, it's has a horrible unsensitive metering. There's a nob on it called gain but they should just call it noise.

So if you reading this review thinking, I have no money to buy a cheap pre amp, save your money and buy something like a m-audio dmp3 which is a huge jump up in quality and sound and only £20-£30 more than the bellringer.

30th May 2012

Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200 by TheOtherRob

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3

Yes, it is cheap. But too expensive for just a doorstop.
That is what some would say.

This unit may well be a lesson in what NOT to buy for the home studio enthusiast. Some have called the 'Gain' knob a 'noise level' knob. And so, this is true. Noise is as welcome to any serious recording as much as passing gas in a crowded elevator is welcome. However, they can be modded with better op amps and electrolytic caps. Then it would be formidable. Reminds of the guy who jacked up his radiator cap and drove a newer car underneath it. Since ultimately - sound integrity and quality are essential; it lost the race at this point.

Only as easy to use as you are experienced enough to understand what it is. Oh yeah; it is easy to use for those who know the functions. They are all clearly laid out and intuitive if you know what one is doing with them. It uses an internal power supply - rather than a disgusting wall wart (don't ya just hate them things?). It looks like it should be an important piece; but looks can be deceiving too. And so it is that.

Having a parametric is a fine feature for those who give that sound a bump or a notch. So is a tuneable freq low cut switch. Phase, mic/line, and phantom power are all front panel switchable. The LED db display seems to work OK too. All very fine features. The tube display is kinda ghank ("a dank funk that makes one gag") - though. Thought that was tacky - to say the least. Or was that enough? A tube emulated mic pre that the user cannot even change out, as that cheap Chinese tube is soldered into place. Not that it would ever need to be serviced - unless someone decided to frisbee this unit - but that could happen too.

I M O - if they would have spent a little bit more for some quality op amps and caps, lost the cheap tube and its cutesy/fruitsy window, they may actually have a winner for an entry-level, inexpensive preamp. Or even go as far as putting in a real power supply that could - dare I say it - drive a real and replaceable tube-of-choice. So long as keeps all of the usable features - that could even be interesting.

ALL Behringer gear would improve immensely if they just use better op amps and caps in all of their gear. What are they afraid of; success? Are you listening Behringer? Me thinks so . . .

If you are a beginner and need a preamp and you want to save money; a preamp is NOT where one should do that. Especially for a home studio enthusiast needing their first important lesson. You really need bank-fer-the-buck here; and you will not find it with this unit. Is it useful at all - one might ask? Yes; but not for any serious recording. Anything else but that. Not that ALL Behringer gear is bad; one needs to pick and choose their 'Bill of Fair' carefully. Just don't chose this preamp for your home studio if you want and need great results.

4th July 2012

Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200 by nytro

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2

good boy thanks for that , nearly bought one there !

I like some behringer gear but its so hot and cold!

like I had a uca 202 soundcard that had a whining sound through it , or I had a

Behringer SX 2442FX mixer , that when you pulled the volume all the way down

you could still hear music playing .. its those things which piss me off ! , one flip

side I had the bcf 2000 midi controller with motorised faders which was very

good,

love the prices and the look .... but....... cumon ... we love you guys get it

together!!!!

your new x32 looks fantastic .... lets hope this is a new beginning!

2 weeks ago

Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200 by Sowndgod

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The 2200 is getting a bit of a bad reputation...
It is not the quietest tube pre out there, but it is usable...first off...its output meters are based on +4db output...so you don't need to run her up to the red to get good output volumes...
Secondly..as with any and every pre-amp I personally have encountered, the behringer also has a usable range of gain before it starts gettin noisey and harsh...
For microphones stay to the left of 12 o'clock pos.
I like to run one side of this for my pre-multi Fx guitar pedal...it allows me a tunable low cut filter..
which is great with some pedals that have a linear input response ..unlike a real amplifier...
Next it gives me a single fully adjustable parametric eq band.which is great for pretending I have the worlds best morphing guitar pick-ups for getting that perfect feel and tonal response to the strings...
Then if I feel the need to push the limits of my digital pedals input , to get more gain for the chuncky crunch channel sounds I like , I also have a master output gain to do so with...
If your real savvy...you might even solder up a guitar 1/4" to a XLR output cord...that will give you controll of just how much pre-amp (tube) gain gets injected into your signal...it really does make a difference...and don't beleive people who say the 1/4" in doesn't run thru the tube section..it does..it just doesn't give you controll of the gain level..
The tube is also "not" soldered into these units...
I just recently swapped out the tube for a nice old vintage one..its not easy...but not impossible either..
If you do this just be careful..take your time..look closely how it all slides apart...its delicate...
I've heard good things about a 12au7 swap..
Good low noise..full frequency ..less drivey tube..
And as for a mic pre-amp it is useable..live more than in a studio enviroment..but if your in a studio,
you should have a decent noise reduction anyway..
In my opinion...all this unit is missing..is a noise gate...but for an average of $99.00...I won't complain...
Sowndgod out...

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Behringer: MIC2200 Ultragain Pro
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search