The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus FireStudio Mobile
4.6 4.6 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Presonus portable FireWire audio interface, compatible with Mac and PC.

12th January 2012

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile by jazzmusic49

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Review:

This audio interface is designed for artists who need to record on the go, or for a small home studio/vocal booth etc. With the interface powered by the laptop, it can be carried around easily with the laptop for easy of use. With 8 inputs, (2 XLR/TS and 6 line inputs) you have many inputs to record bands (I have managed to get an eight piece pop band recorded at once with it). Although only the two XLR/TS have 48v power, you can combat this with a mixer with inserts/direct outs on the channel strip. The XLR ports have XMAX pre amps to add to the recordings as well.
One of the key selling points would be that it comes with two FireWire ports, meaning you can tether multiple interfaces to boost your I/O when recording.
For users who have it as part of a studio (like me) it comes with a S/PDIF breakout cable as standard to connect a MIDI keyboard or interface to join your studio into one cable. Playback is also greatly improved when put through the interface, with the mix having more depth to them.

Summary:

Pros:
Multiple I/O, great for multitracking
Rugged design, good for on the move
Self powered
Good preamps
Expansion with other interfaces
Studio software included
S/PDIF cable incuded
Only £189

Cons:
Limited XLR inputs
Limited 48v
Supplied with 400 to 400 cable

Conclusion:

For this price, you get a good, solid interface with decent preamps. Great for young artists, or a vocal booth etc.

28th January 2012

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile by VelKFactor

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I've been using one of these babies for 3 years now. For a portable audio interface, it really can't be beat. Solid as a rock. Never had a single issue with it. It's the perfect travelling companion for a LapTop. I use mine with Reason 6 and the two combined make for one hell of a portable studio.

Mine came with a copy of the Studio One DAW. Nice little recording suite to be bundled with the Firestudio Mobile.

If you have limited space, a limited budget, or need a solid & dependable portable audio interface, look no further.

19th April 2014

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile by monkeyxx

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

My Echo Audiofires are great for recording but are terrible for latency performance when playing software instruments with my MIDI keyboard and drum pad controllers. There's a noticeable delay that greatly affects feel and timing in a bad way, and ruins the fun of music.

The Presonus Firestudio Mobile runs solidly at the second-lowest buffer setting on my PC (64 buffer). Now playing software instruments is a joy, just the same as any of my hardware in response time. I switch the driver in Cubase to go between multitrack mode (Echo) and playing mode (Presonus), couldn't be simpler. My massive library of samples has a new life.

I can't comment much on the sound quality because I'm using it only as a low latency interface, using SPDIF output to my Emotiva DC-1 DAC. The Emotiva does sound noticeably better and is my standard DAC. But I will emphasize once more that the Presonus Universal Control 1.7.1 software is solid "as a rock" at low latency, under 4 ms in my case with Cubase 5. The Echo couldn't hardly touch 10 or 12 ms, at much higher buffer settings, which is significantly worse in reality. The Emotiva DC-1 was getting a medium low latency as an interface, but not as low as the Firestudio Mobile!! It really makes a difference! There's this black art of latency that you have to learn the hard way. It took me a year to find out that my interfaces were the problem, and that Presonus had the solution.

I had trouble with the 1.7.2 software, but 1.7.1 is working pretty cheerfully. Actually there are some minor bugs to work around in the Presonus software, it's not as clean and foolproof as the Echo, but they don't get in the way for my basic use. Once you've got your settings where you want them, it's pretty straightforward in use. The GUI is not as pretty as Echo either, but it's not bad.

What a great deal in audio gear. I paid $99 used for mine (plus tax and shipping). This was a real problem solver for me. Until I can afford a truly high end all-around conversion rig like RME, UA, etc.

I really think that this is a hidden gem of an interface given its latency performance and price. It deserves a little more press, I think.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search