The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio-Technica ATM25

Audio-Technica ATM25

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Hypercardioid Dynamic Instrument Microphone

12th January 2012

Audio-Technica ATM25 by Sim

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Audio-Technica ATM25

I noticed that this is the first review of the ATM 25.

It's a bit of an un talked about microphone I heard Lars Ulrich will use no other mic on his floor toms live.

Anyway I picked this little gem up for £55 when in search for a floor tom mic as I was using sm58's or d112's at the time.

The mic is really solid and has a nice built in mic holder. AT don't supply a max SPL value which seems unusual but i'm guessing it's up at the 130 mark.

This mic has much more natural sound than a lot of other budget mics or mic's around the £120 mark. It has shallow dip in the mids that cleans up the tom's and has a really even tight bass response that is perfect for toms and makes a very malleable sound to change during mixing.

Used on the kick drum it really pick's up the articulation of the beater very naturally. It doesn't boost the low end like a lot of kick drum mics but does cut out a little mess and clean the drum up. As a kick drum mic it's probably the flattest sounding mic out of the sub £200 level. So if you like a flat mic on the kick but don't have the cash this is a worth tryng out. It kinda meats the flat kick mics and the 'pre-eq'd' ones in the middle but it's cheaper than most of them. It's also pretty great on small 18" kicks for jazz, just superb.

I'd need to give this mic a try on bass cab because from my experience these kinda half way flat mics with a bit of flavour work well hear. I assume it may not work great on guitar cabs as it might not get the mids right.

Overall an excellent dynamic mic for the price.

18th January 2012

Audio-Technica ATM25 by packupthekids

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Audio-Technica ATM25

I have found this mic to excel at getting aggressive sounds out of a kick or toms. It seems to take EQ well for the last little bit of tone shaping. It has a really nice mid range attack that sounds natural and not hyped at all. It seems to also be really effected by impedance switching / different pres

It is also excellent at close miking bari and tenor saxophones, when looking for a very in-your-face sax tone. It seems to bring out just the right amount of air in relation to the body of the sound

I haven't had too much luck with it on bass or guitar amps.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audio-Technica ATM25
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search