The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audix i5

Audix Microphones i5

4.1 4.1 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

The SM57 "Killer"

11th January 2012

Audix Microphones i5 by mattqualls

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Audix i5

The Audix i5 microphone is a dynamic mic with many similarities to probably the most famous microphone is the audio world, the Shure SM57. This mic is often referred to as the SM57 "killer" and it became quite obvious once used in a session. While I enjoy my 3 SM57's this mic is almost always used for snare drum tracking. It seems to have a much more open and clear sound than the 57. It sounds great on most sources and it indeed has many applications. I've used it on snare drums, toms, guitar cabinets, vocals and even bass guitar. While it's not the greatest microphone in the land of dynamics it has its place for a modern workhorse. Am I completely dolled over in joy with this mic? No, but I can assure you that it finds a place in every recording session I have done. Whether it is the choice snare drum mic or the talkback mic for the musicians it has a place and a purpose. It may not hold its own with other mics such as the Beyerdynamic M88 but for the price I would never put it past someone to choose it over a much more expensive mic. The best quality of this mic is the construction, I could use it to hammer a nail into the wall and it would still hold up in the studio. In the end, it's a good workhorse dynamic when the pocketbook doesn't allow one to spend every dime for a decent sound.

29th March 2012

Audix Microphones i5 by eastsidetone

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Audix i5

For a long time, if you ever asked anyone with basic recording or live sound experience for some advice on miking an electric guitar, they would almost always tell you to just point a Shure SM57 directly in front of the speaker cone on an amp. They would also tell you to use a Shure SM57 for miking snare drums, vocals, and just about anything else in world that makes detectable noise.

There have never been very many affordable alternatives to the SM-57 and at roughly $100.00 Shure really drives a hard bargain. All this credibility is now challenged by the Audix i5 with many in the press calling it the "SM57 killer."

Now for the nuts and bolts:

The Audix i5 features a durable zinc alloy body with a cardioid pickup pattern. The frequency response has a slight boost in the lower mid-range and greater emphasis around 5khz.

The sound of the i5 on an electric guitar amp can be best described as bright with a thick low end. Since the mic is already bright, users may benefit from aiming slightly off axis instead of directly in front of the speaker cone so they can take advantage of the warmth this mic can offer to an amp's tone.

On vocals, the sound is pretty crisp and the cardiod pattern offers good rear and side rejection making it a great choice for live sound.

If you're a fan of close miking snare drums, you'll most likely become pleasantly surprised at this mics ability to capture nice "poppy" sounds.

To keep it short , like the '57 the i5 can sound GREAT on some sources, but more importantly it will sound good on almost anything.

As far as how durable the zinc alloy body is, let's just say that the first few minutes I owned one of these I dropped it on cement tile and all it had to show for it was a tiny scratch.

So if you already own a SM57, or you are looking for your first mic, you owe it to yourself to check out this one.

31st March 2012

Audix Microphones i5 by Mark_Andrasko

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Audix i5

The Audix i5 vs the Shure SM57: the The Battle for Dynamic Mic Supremacy of the Ages???

Absolutely not.

After my experience with the Audix i5 I have to conclude that what Audix has done is create the perfect brother-in-arms for the SM57. No one should ever compare these two microphones!!! (even though that's what I am about to do) They should only see what these two mics are capable of achieving together.

Where the SM57 fails a little, the Audix i5 picks the slack.. and vice versa.

I LOVE the SM57 on vocals and top and bottom snare. Here, the Audix simply doesn't do it for me. To my ears it has a high frequency bump that makes vocals and top and bottom snare brittle and harsh.

That high frequency bump is why I love the Audix i5 on toms. The i5's sculpted tone gives those beefy toms a presence I can't obtain with the 57. Also, the Audix i5 dominates the SM57 when I close mic my Fender Twin.. I am not sure if this applies to all amps but for Fender Twin the Audix i5 just emanates the juiciness I want out of that crunchy, distorted tone while the 57 enhances a different high frequency I don't quite care for.

In conclusion: I know no one is selling all of their 57's to pick up an arsenal of i5s but if you love the 57 you HAVE to pick up an i5 or two to find out how these two mics can work together. They are very different microphones. I have to give this mic a 9 in Sound Quality just because of how much I love it in front of my Fender Twin.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audix i5
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search