The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Dragonfly

Blue Microphones Dragonfly

3.25 3.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Bizarre design that looks very retro yet sounds sounds very modern.

11th January 2012

Blue Microphones Dragonfly by mattqualls

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25
Blue Dragonfly

The Blue Dragonfly at first glance looks visually stunning, the rotating capsule (which in my opinion is it's great attribute) was an immediate grabber for me. A friend of mine has a pair and swears by them for drum overhead duties, so when this mic popped up on the local craigslist at a price of $400 I said what the hell, I'll try it out. The first thing I did was try it out on my voice, it was very crisp sounding mic compared to my other LDC's. It sounded alright on my voice but I immediately could tell that on a higher pitched voice it will excel. My next test was on another singer that has a bit of a higher registering voice than mine. (you can hear the how the dragonfly sounds on this record, we ended up using it for the main vocal tracks Heavy Eyes | The Heavy Eyes) I thought it performed very well is this situation but where this microphone really kicks ass is on drum overheads. Its bright without sounding thin and very good at capturing the transients of the drums. If I'm doing a mono drum overhead setup, this mic is almost always used, especially if the drummer wants a nice crack in the snare and sharp sounding cymbals. My other go-to drum overhead mic is the Cascade Vin-Jet w/ with Lundahl transformer. While this mic excels on vocals and drum overheads, these are the only applications I have found it useful for. I tried to use it on bass and it was very unflattering to the low end with the same result for an electric guitar cab. While this mic isn't for every instrument, it definitely has its place in this world. Once I got this mic, I immediately sold my pair of Rode NT-5's. I'd rather go mono and have a fuller overhead sound that get a great stereo image that sounds brittle. Overall it's a good mic and for the price I paid I am happy, but not thrilled with it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Blue Dragonfly
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search