The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sE studio metal pop-screen

sE Electronics Reflexion Filter PRO

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Metal-based alternative to the traditional fabric pop-screens.

10th January 2012

sE Electronics Reflexion Filter PRO by fattsmellf

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
sE studio metal pop-screen

Ok - it's a pop-screen, not the most exciting piece of audio-gear. BUT, this one is made entirely of a metal mesh instead of the traditional fabric. The metal mesh is not simply perforated but instead has been "louvered", whatever that means, as far as I can tell it looks like the metal is punched at a slanted angle which directs blasts of air away from the microphone. The advantages are that it's supposedly more transparent than fabric-meshes with less impact on the high-frequency content and of course it's more rugged, and easy to clean(!).

I found it to be an excellent screen for reducing plosives, at first sight you think it won't work at all, but if you blow into it and hold you're hand on the other side of it you don't feel anything at all. It's otherwise very transparent and easy to use. I haven't done any pop-screen 'shoot-outs' with traditional mesh-screens (Seriously, I have better things to do), but listening to the vocal takes I've made with this it certainly performs just as well. If I had one criticism it would be that the goose-neck could be a bit stiffer (a common problem), it's sometimes difficult to get it just in the right position. Also - I got it bundled free with a Voodoo VR1 mic, so in terms of bang-for-buck it couldn't be better!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... sE studio metal pop-screen
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search