The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP510 Surround Monitor Controller

Audient ASP510

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Surround monitor controller for multiple surround and stereo inputs

10th January 2012

Audient ASP510 by HDJK

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Audient ASP510 Surround Monitor Controller

The Audient ASP510 is a monitor controller among many. What sets it apart from others, like the Dangerous Music Monitor ST/SR? Actually, purely for the looks I was considering the ST/SR for a while, but after a long research phase I decided to get the ASP510, mainly for 2 reasons: simplicity, and I couldn't afford a 5.1 Crane Song Avocet.

Even though it ships with a nice and comprehensible manual, it is almost entirely self-explanatory. You get direct access to all the sources (3 surround and 3 stereo) and each speaker in your 5.1 setup can be individually cut or soloed. A Dolby Digital Encoder/Decoder can be inserted as well as a Guide track. There's also a 1 button reference volume, DIM/CUT and switchable monitor formats (5.1, LCRS, Stereo, Mono). Depending on which version you get, there's either a ALT stereo speaker available, or a 80Hz SUB switch (I assume this is a global bass management function, but mine has the ALT switch, so I can't be sure).

The best sound quality of a monitor controllers is always the lack of any sound of its own, and the ASP510 is very transparent. The only thing that could be a problem is the small fan on the base unit that could be audible, if you sit right in front of it. When racked, this is not an issue.

As a side not, the fan on my unit was noisy because of its age. I emailed Audient support and they mailed me a new fan, free of charge within 1 week. That's what I call great support

Everything is hooked up with D-Sub connectors. For some reasons beyond my comprehension, Audient chose to make the outputs male connectors. That means getting out the solder (which I have and will never do again when it comes to D-Sub...) or using gender changers on commercially available snakes. No big deal, but still an inconvenience.

The only thing that could be missing for some is a talkback function. Its main purpose is mixing in various surround formats, though, and as such the Audient ASP510 was a great investment that I don't regret.

Highly recommended for analyzing and mixing surround music.

edit: I just learned, that Audient is offering free adapters for the D-Sub male connectors; just contact the help desk

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audient ASP510 Surround Monitor Controller
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search