The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Taylor 414ce Electro-acoustic guitar

Taylor Guitar 414CE

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

They rock! Great utilitarian guitar; excellent engineering and musicality.

9th January 2012

Taylor Guitar 414CE by Arthur Stone

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Taylor 414ce Electro-acoustic guitar-tay1.jpg

Background: Taylor has been manufacturing since the mid-70's and the company took off through the 80's. They are a top-selling brand for good reason - quality and musicality. Taylor have a good website with support, maintenance tips, and technical info; also a 12-year warranty via European dealers which is commendable and shows a commitment to their customers and confidence in their product.

Taylor 414ce Electro-acoustic guitar-tay3.jpg

Hardware: The 414ce has a sitka-spruce top (quite bright wood) and ovangkol back and sides; the glossy finish is superb and really shows off the character of the wood. The body shape is 'grand-auditorium with a Venetian-cutaway which allows easy access to the upper frets. The nut and saddle are tusq (man-made ivory) and the bridge, ebony. The fretboard is ebony wood with pearl dot inlays and the 20-fret neck is tropical American mahogany. The company has been innovative offering guitars with a patented bolt-on neck which is integral to the on-body fretboard; this system allows fine-tuning of the neck via shims rather than a complete disassemble and reset.
The onboard electronics - the Expression System - uses a humbucking induction pick-up (in the neck) and two dynamic transducers under the soundboard are wired to an onboard preamp designed by Rupert Neve. These are selectable. The tuning-machines are high-quality chrome-plated Taylor custom; I rarely have to tune. My friend plays in a busy travelling bluegrass outfit and he told me he never has to tune his guitar.

The 414ce comes with a superb Taylor hardshell case.

Taylor 414ce Electro-acoustic guitar-tay4.jpg

In Use:The guitar is similar to Lowden in that it demands precise playing and this is a good thing as you have to up-your-game...it's quite unforgiving of idiots...but once you get into the zone it rocks! Here's a quick track of an idiot playing:

Conclusion: The 414ce is a superb guitar acoustic or DI'd...it's just quality. Taylor guitars seem to invoke a love-hate relationship amongst guitarists e.g. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/instr...orta-blow.html
However most of the haters don't own them and they remain popular as studio guitars; I'm a lover as they tick all the boxes and if I only had one electro-acoustic guitar I would be happy with a 414ce (or perhaps a Martin).

References:
Taylor Guitars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Taylor Guitar News | Reviews, Artists Articles & Sweepstakes

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Taylor 414ce Electro-acoustic guitar
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search