The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonnox Oxford Limiter

Sonnox Oxford Limiter

4 4 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The Sonnox Oxford Limiter offers a good alternative to the other available limiter plugins on the market from waves etc.

8th January 2012

Sonnox Oxford Limiter by Jomox

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Sonnox Oxford Limiter

The Sonnox Oxford Limiter offers a good alternative to the other available limiter plugins on the market from waves etc.

The limiter has a good number of handy features which include: 64bit compatibility, attack, release and variable soft knee controls, comprehensive dither and noise shaping, a good number of presets and more.

I personally use the limiter on personal tracks I send out for people to listen to and friends who want their tracks to have a basic master with okay loudness, this is mainly all electronic music, I'm no professional but I do have a bit of experience.

I find the Sonnox Oxford Limiter to be very handy in getting a good amount of loudness. With most tracks I personally find it can get tracks louder than other limiters such as the L1/L2/L3 from waves and the ozone limiter etc, while keeping things nice and clean still. You can easily find the limits with this limiter as it lets you know when your pushing a track to hard as you'll hear things getting a bit to squashed and messy.

For me personally I've definitely found it to be much more clean then other plug-in limiters overall, though there is still some tracks I do prefer to sometimes use the L1 maximizer, but on most I prefer to use the Sonnox Oxford. Still some tracks I've found the Sonnox to sometimes bring the worse out of some harsh frequencies that may be in the mix no matter what settings you tweak. This can be fixed in other ways of course, but if you want to keep things simple I usually go back to the L1 or another limiter on these tracks.

I usually only use the safe mode button on it though, with a bit of attack, soft knee and of course dither, this for me keeps things nice and clean, but the other settings can come in handy depending on the track and how you work.

The main downside you could say is the price, with it costing a bit more than Waves L1, but it is a very powerful yet clean limiter and worthy of buying.

15th February 2012

Sonnox Oxford Limiter by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Sonnox Oxford Limiter

Im glad that sony developed these or was it paul frindle working for sony?

They provide a limiter with lots of variables.
I dont like slamming limiters and that is a way to ruin music, so ill leave that apllication aside.

If this is one of the better limiter plugs im not that impressed.
Something about what happens to tje frequency response I dont like, its a harshness that the last reviewer mentioned.

If you want tweakabilty this plug surpasses
the waves options of L1 L2
I have found of the limiters ive tried the elephant voxengo is one of the most transparent and I.feel actually a better value then the sony.

Considering these algorithms came from.the sony digital oxford console I think perhaps an update to continue improving the art of limiting should come.along.perhaps that is what Paul Frindles new company is doing though I have not checked out his latest.

Not a bad plug but I feel.the sony is overpriced.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Sonnox Oxford Limiter
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search