The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Spares SN10's

Studiospares SN10

2.75 2.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Studio Spare's take on the classic Yamaha NS10 studio monitors.

7th January 2012

Studiospares SN10 by colonel_sanders

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75

I picked up a pair of SN10's for £70 thinking that if they sound anything like NS10's, the bang-for-buck factor is amazing. After a few months of mixing on them, I have found that they sound very different to the Yamaha NS10's, but have still found a place for them in my setup.

My initial thought upon viewing the monitors, was that they are significantly larger than the original. The SN10's feature a 8 inch driver rather than the 6.5 inch I was accustomed to. This, coupled with the larger enclosure increases the bass response and output compared the the Yamaha NS10's. This increase in bass response is immediately noticeable if you are a frequent user of NS10's.

Once I got them to the studio and plugged them in, I was pleased to hear the trademark mid forward sound of the NS10's. The monitors do exhibit characteristics of the classic Yamaha monitors, but in my opinion they are completely different beasts.

Studio spares also offer replacement drivers for £19.50 exc VAT. Pretty cheap compared to the £90 + you'd pay for an original replacement.

In conclusion, don't buy them expecting a pair of Yamaha NS10's. For the money I think they are a great pair of speakers to supplement an existing setup. I would not rely on them as my only pair of monitors, but I found them to showcase small problems in balance and timing better than other nearfield monitors (KRK, Genelec).

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Studio Spares SN10's
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search