6th January 2012

Sennheiser E602 by MikeMcD

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Sennheiser e602

This is my go-to kick mic for nearly every drum recording I do. I'm surprised it's not generally viewed as one of the industry standards like the d112 or the beta 52.. In my opinion it sounds better than both of those.
I've used this on a bass amp and even tried vocals on it with useable results, but this thing really shines in front of a kick drum.
Stick one of these right on the port about an inch inside or outside of the hole and hit record and I can promise you'll get a good sound. If you're drum is a little boomy, just add a little 6k in the eq for more attack.
I can't say enough about this mic and it would take quite a bit for me to use anything else on a bass drum.

12th July 2012

Sennheiser E602 by Jye

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use N/A
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 1.5
Sennheiser e602

Kick drum sounds are such a taste thing, and should be rated in the context of personal taste. I'm sorry I had to put numbers up as a warning for the people that just want a number out of ten. Here's what I think.

For me and the sound I am going for, this was a horrible regression from my JTS NX-2 (a beta 52 knock-off). I wanted real character in my kick sound, and the natural character to be captured, the way it has been in many vintage recordings. For this, it didn't work. I am selling this and looking at an RE20 and D12.

For someone wanting a modern sound suitable for rock, this may be the ticket. It would suit as a live mic, with a generic 'doof' sound you get straight away. Also suitable for drummers that have bad sounding kicks, as the resulting sound is anything but natural.

I have used the 602, D112, beta 52, RE20, D12, SM7, and D6 on kick. In my experience and opinion, from listening to kick drum mics solo'd, i'll give a rough ballpark of how each sounded to me. I presume many reading this may be looking for a cheap, or even their first kick mic, so it might help.

The 602 has the most extreme sub-bass thing going on; sounds like it has a woofer attached to it, and very modern, wet beater attack sound (wet beater attack is the sound akin to using a clear Emad 2 on your kick, as opposed to the dryer beater attack of a coated powerstroke 3/ambassador). The beta 52 has quite a lot of bass and more click. The D112 has slightly less bass than the 52 and more click still. The D6 strikes me as similar to the 602 in that it is heavily EQ'd, loads of bottom, but unlike the 602, loads of click. The SM7 is similar to an RE20 but with slightly less bass warmth, and slightly more attack. RE20 seemed to give a very natural, dryer sound, and a woolier mallet thump, with balanced highs and lows. The D12 is even further toward the vintage sound, with huge bass (albeit totally different from a 602; more rounded, dryer and natural-sounding) and really wooly beater sound with almost no attack. Hope this helped.

4 weeks ago

Sennheiser E602 by frans

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
Sennheiser e602

I used one of these microphones for a few years, amongst a dozend or so other microphones that can be found on kick (AKG D20, AKG D12, Senn. MD421, AT25, M88, Beyer M380, Beyer Opus99, EV RE38, Audix D6, etc.etc.) and there were many occasions where it did the job well. Sometimes it just sounded weird, so it didn't pair well with certain drums but that's not a problem but my personal excuse for having too many microphones. One day i got together with three friends and we spent an afternoon checking ca. 40 mics that can do kickdrum duties. We don't have completely similar taste, but we found a handful we could agree on sounding great. Well, the 602 (as much as I like a few things from Sennheiser, okay?) was not on this short list. But then again it does the job if you need something to cut through for music with walls of guitar and it is not expensive. What I noticed comparing it to the Audix D6 is, they are roughly in the same ballpark (scooped, treble lift) but the D6 always seemed to make the drumhits sound longer, a tiny bit. Which sometimes drove me a bit crazy - did anybody else got the same impression? Some microphone models sound uniform, no matter which you use, all sound the same, other mics sound different, say "the best 57 out of 10" - so take my opinion with a grain of salt or check a few 602s.
One particular feature of the 602 I grew to dislike: on the lower end of frequencies it is a hair short of omni. Not that handy if you have it on a stage with a big bass rig. Don't tell me every mic is less directional down there, because I got a few mics that really, really are more focused to what's in front of them below, say, 100 hz. By the way, that was included in our 40-kick-test. In the test, one of the rounds was recording kick while I played my bass ten feet from it with 2x15" from a Hiwatt DR as a worst case scenario, from 90, 180 and 120 degrees or so. I guess we were bored, but we learned a few things.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search