The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sE Instrument Reflexion Filter IRF2

sE Electronics Instrument Reflexion Filter 2 (IRF2)

2.5 2.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Good all-purpose reflection filter for minimizing poor room sound.

31st December 2011

sE Electronics Instrument Reflexion Filter 2 (IRF2) by travisbrown

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
sE Instrument Reflexion Filter IRF2

I picked up two sE IRF2s during a Sweetwater Black Friday sale. And while I'm not sure that I'd pay full price for them since they are a bit pricey, they did prove to be useful and versatile across a number of applications.

I first had the opportunity to use them in a live stage recording situation. We were tracking a collective of musicians who set up in sprawling fashion on a church stage. Very little isolation between sound sources and lots of boomy room sound. I first tried on 112 guitar amps, loading with SM57s and placing a few inches on axis off the grill cloth. The filters definitely helped minimize ambient noise and isolate the amp sound. I didn't get the opportunity to back the mics off the amp and see what the effect on rear reflection rejection was.

The second application I tried was on overheads on the drum kit. Many years ago I saw a Buddy Rich performance video where the recording tech had taken what looked like clear salad bowls, inverted them and drilled holes thought the bottoms to load with SDC mics. He them suspended over the kit, explaining that this helped with focusing the kit sound and rejecting ceiling reflections. I'd always wanted to try something similar, so tried with the IRF2s. It does produce a drier sound that may be a little more versatile for some mixes. The room has 40' ceilings, so I'm not sure how this trick will work on 8-16" drum rooms.

The units themselves are reasonably well built. The clamp that attaches to the mic stand could be a little beefier and a little less finicky. Also, the clamp mechanism for the mics seemed slightly janky. It all worked though. For the full price I'd like to see that engineered a bit better.

It should be noted that these are designed for front-fire mics. If you are a fan of Sennheiser 409 style dynamics, or side address ribbons or LDC mics, you'd have to monkey around a bit.

Overall, they do what they say they do. If you are recording in sub-optimal environment and need some reflection rejection or isolation, these are convenient tools. I will buy a few more if I find them for a good price.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... sE Instrument Reflexion Filter IRF2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search