The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Countryman Type 85 Direct Box

Countryman Type 85 DI Box

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

One of the best general purpose DI boxes.

31st December 2011

Countryman Type 85 DI Box by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The Countryman Type 85 is one of the best general purpose active DI boxes made. I own 4 of them. Although the stated warranty is 5 years I have never known of a case where a (very rare) malfunctioning unit was not replaced no questions asked, even if the owner was not the original purchaser. In 42 years I have only encountered 2 defective units. This device is also as close to indestructible as it is possible to be. All components are mounted on a u shaped aluminum shelf that slides into a monolithic aluminum extrusion that protects all switches and jacks from damage and is so rugged that you can literally drive a truck over it without damage.

The only general purpose DIs I know of that can match the Countryman for sound quality are the Radial actives and they don't come close to being as durable.

In speaker mode this box can take the output of any known instrument amplifier. It can accept the equivalent of 1,700 watts before it begins to distort.

Input and output 1/4" jacks, XLR mic level output with ground lift switch. Input sensitivity selectable between instrument and speaker. Phantom or battery power. FET input circuit for extremely high input impedance - this box will not load your pickups or affect the tone of your instrument. Class A discrete circuitry, epoxy potted. 400 hour battery life. 20Hz-20kHz +/- 1 dB. Input protection 220VRMS/20,000V static discharge. Voltage gain: -10dB-pickup/-46dB speaker mode. RF filtering: input - 250kHz, output - 30kHz. Max input level, pickup mode - 5V p-p. THD - .018/1kHz 1V p-p. IMD - .08 10kHz/60Hz 1V p-p. Input resistance - 10 Megohms (10x the input of a typical tube amp.) Input capacitance - 160 pf (equiv. 2 ft. of low capacitance guitar cable. Dimensions - 1.75x3x5 inches.

5th January 2012

Countryman Type 85 DI Box by JerryOrdoñez

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

...you really won't know what you are missing until you try one of these.
If you don't have one, you need to get one and do an A/B test against your DI. Believe me, you'll end up selling yours to get two of these!

6th January 2012

Countryman Type 85 DI Box by SureSound

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

This is a super solid well designed di-box, its one of those pieces of gear that will just last for the long run, its a very useful studio tool and I'm happy very happy with these units! If you don't have one you should get one because it blows away the other passive boxes I've used, you really can't go wrong with this and I'm pretty sure it will withstand getting run over by a bus.

7th January 2012

Countryman Type 85 DI Box by diylan

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

This is a example of utilitarian studio gear at it's finest. No flashing lights, no fancy packaging, everything you need and nothing you don't.

Sound:
Tight, detailed, accurate, you get out what you put in. There are no tubes or fancy circuitry in there to give you "warmth" or anything like that, just great sound. I like to use these on anything that needs a DI, especially instruments that I know I will be re-amping (accuracy).

Construction:
Simple and robust. The electronics are encased in a small, durable metal box with all switches and connections recessed; if someone wanted to destroy one of these I would wish them good luck. I've used these DIs in a number of studios and even the oldest, most beat up units perform with flying colors.

Advice:
It's fairly priced and you really can't go wrong. With Countryman you're not paying for any marketing hype or unnecessary bells and whistles. Anytime I want an active DI these are my first choice. The only time I might reach for something else would be if I wanted a little more bottom end, but if this was all I had I wouldn't be disappointed.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Countryman Type 85 Direct Box
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search