The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MXL 24 Cr Microphone Package

MXL CR-24 Studio Condenser Kit

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

MXL 24 Cr Microphones raise the bar in low cost high quality microphones from the Orient in a finish that's hard to resist.

26th December 2011

MXL CR-24 Studio Condenser Kit by Analok

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
MXL 24 Cr Microphone Package

Over the Summer of 2011, GS was abuzz over these MXL Cr 24 microphones. They were modeled from their increasingly popular 2003a/603a series, but in a black chrome finish. Speculation was that these mics out of MXL were already 'modded up' at the factory utilizing components & techniques highly praised by the independant/underground DYI sector. Icing on the cake at that time was that MF was selling these kits dirt cheap, and then cheaper still as a one time only 'Stupid Deal of the Day'. Too hard to resist, I took the bait...and thensome.

The kit arrived in orderly fashion as you'd expect from a big house outlet store. Upon opening the aluminum case I was immediately surprized with all it had to offer: one LDC; one pencil-type SDC; two appropriate shock mounts; cleaning cloth; spec sheet/helpful tips guide packet; sturdy aluminum case. But the over the top accessory was a pair of light duty MXL gloves!! Apparently these black chrome beauties collect fingerprints like nobody's business, so these gloves are supposed to help in that regard. Ooooh-Keeeii

Fast set up of the LDC & my lowly concert acoustic revealed a mic sounding much better than expected. Very natural & un-hyped, un-constipated nor shrill nor muddy...transparent if you will. It's response was very flat and even, and further tayloring with the EQ simply wasn't needed. Self noise was practically non existent, and the build quality was great! In short I wasn't ready for the net results - it was beautiful!

I should point out at this time that I've never really bonded with pencil-type SDCs, and because of my previous experinces with them I neglected to even so much as take this new chrome pencil out of it's cellophane bag. But I was so impressed with the LDC's performance & all the other perks within the kit that I was more than satisfied with the purchase. Honestly, the black-chromed 2003a cousin LDC sounds as though it should cost at least twice as much as the kit's asking price. So much so that I scooped up two more kits from MF via their ridiculous SDotD sale! Read past threads within GS about this once in a lifetime deal & you'll find I wasn't alone, but many others were kicking themselves for losing out.

In short, I love this mic package & highly recommend it to anyone regardless of genre or surroundings - you WILL find purpose for it. Even at the current $199 street price it's got high 'bang for buck' value that will retain its' value for years to come. Oh, and as for that black chrome finish?? It's pure gansta pimp heh

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... MXL 24 Cr Microphone Package
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search