The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics sE1a (stereo pair)

sE Electronics SE 1A Stereo Set

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Small Condensor cardioid microphones made to handle the duties you would use an SDC for such as drum overheads, stringed instruments pianos and other sources.

25th December 2011

sE Electronics SE 1A Stereo Set by BioMichanical

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Studio Electronics sE1a (stereo pair)

Looks - these are no doubt sexy microphones with their satin finish and dark gray wrap around which makes them stand out from other SDC's. They come in a nice flight case and when buying the stereo pair, they even come with a stereo bar. I once took the head amp out of the mic body and was surprised to see a tiny transformer tucked in there!

Sound - These sound great, they are a tad bright, but one thing I did notice is that that although they are on the bright side, there is a slight softening sound when used as overheads. They don't seem to capture the lower end of the drum kit quite as much as other SDC's which is a good thing because they keep from getting your mix muddy, but that's not a bad thing since I usually high pass them on overheads anyway. For Acoustic guitar they sound fantastic! Point a single one at the 12th fret and you've got your sound. I will say however, that they are very sensitive (as all SDC mics are) to transients, especially going from quiet to loud bursts of sound. That being said I never felt the urge to use a compressor while tracking, however an on board pad would be ideal, but I supposed that's what the sE4's are for. Overall they have a fantastic sound to them, that's a little bright but also has softening effect when used on cymbals. I would say great for jazz, or rock, or blues style of drums. And great on acoustic guitars. They are also very quiet mics.

Conclusion, I believe sE electronics is a stand up company that puts a lot of pride into their work to try to stand out from the other brands in the same class. I only gave them an 8 on features, because these don't come with a pad, or roll off filter or any other cardioid patterns. That being said, if you need those things then get the sE4's. But they did include a nice stereo bar! Great SDC mics and fantastic value for the money!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Studio Electronics sE1a (stereo pair)
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search