The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daking FET III

Daking Audio Fet III

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

A top quality stereo compressor

25th December 2011

Daking Audio Fet III by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Daking FET III

THIS IS A GREAT COMPRESSOR!

I really hate using the word "transparent" because it's so overused, but here it's entirely appropriate. This compressor doesn't make its presence obvious - unless you want it to.

This compressor sounds great on everything. I originally bought it for use on the 2-buss on the advice of a very well known engineer whose advice I respect greatly, but its uses go well beyond that. Bass, guitars, drums, vocals, you name it. As an FET design it is capable of being very fast, but unlike some FET comps it doesn't crud up your sound at high speeds.

The detector stages feature adjustable high pass filters so you can eliminate unwanted triggering due to low frequency information.

"Variable linking between channels is envisioned for use when compressing two different tracks, such as bass and kick, to tie limiter action together to greater or lesser degrees. The Stereo Link is continuously variable from 0 to ?." Stereo linking uses audio summing, not control voltage summing for greater accuracy.

All controls are high quality pots except the ratio switches.

Meters switchable between input, gain reduction, and output.

Outboard power supply for low hum and noise. This box is QUIET!

Channels are fully independent (except when linked, of course.)

If you could only have one quality compressor, this would be a great choice.

27th January 2016

Daking Audio Fet III by WKG

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Daking FET III

Daking FET III. 2 channel FET compressor, stereo linking. HPF. Ratio stepped from 1.5:1 to 20:1. Release variable from 500ms to "auto dual time constant". Nice big meters. 48 v external power supply.

I was on the hunt for 2 channels of flexible compression to use for tracking, 2 buss and general mix duties. Narrowed it down to the Daking FET III and FET II. Decided on the FET III due to the linking and new HPF. This thing just sounds great, plenty fast and very flexible. Works great on the 2 buss and can be almost invisible in action if wanted. Even though this unit doesn't have the Jensens the II has it is not entirely uncolored but just brings a really nice polish to the audio. The HPF and stereo linking/dual mono really help to dial it in. I use it for tracking as well, drums, vocals, guitar/bass etc. On vocals sometimes I'll patch it in series and lean just a little on the 1st channel with a few db compression with a light ratio and set it at a higher ratio on the second to catch overs on difficult singers.

Very flexible unit. There are certainly more colored options out there but not many that can easily cover the ground the FET III does. Daking's current pricing makes it very hard to beat in any case. Haven't needed any service but my experience with Daking in regards to questions etc has been prompt and detailed.

4 weeks ago

Daking Audio Fet III by SwitchesAndDials

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Daking FET III

Great compressor if you want something a little less dramatic but very smooth. I honestly think its one of the smoothest compressors I've ever had the please of using or owning; and I've worked with a lot and owned and sold many because they didn't give me what I wanted.

This unit looks beautiful, super BIG VU meters which I love when I mix, and the construction is very well done with very nice pots (some of which are indented which I generally like more than variable free flowing).

This is honestly a very transparent compressor usually unassociated with a FET compressor; but it does what a FET compressor does; it can be very quick and besides the "color" aspect, it can do most of the essential things that you would come to expect out of an 1176 for example. In fact I was deciding on either buying a vintage 1176, two warm audio 1176 clones, or this Daking. I've had lots of experience with the 1176 and love it, but I chose the Daking instead. Although it doesn't share the same sonic saturation characteristics of the 1176 type compressor; it is ultra smooth and does the "smooth" job almost as good as any compressor I've heard. And Imo not for a lot of money ($1000 used on eBay).

You have all the bells and whistles and control of a compressor with this bad boy, plus those big VU's and the ability to also put it over a stereo mix. I'm not typically a stereo mix compressor guy; but this would be an excellent choice if you were. Definitely better than an 1176 in that aspect.

Very quiet and conscise compressor with some character if you decide to go extreme on some of the settings; but it's not as extreme as I for one had hoped it would be. Wonderful compressor for my signal chain while recording tracks such as acoustic guitars and pairs with a modded LA4 this thing is great for vocals into protools. Also great during mix down on backing vocals, guitars, even more dynamic instruments as horns and subtle mix bus compression. Not the best for drum stereo aux compression as its not that "crazy" sounding as some other popular drum aux compressors like the SSL4000 or Dynamite (of which I own both); but it does indeed have its place all over the place in light mixes that aren't too much rock oriented.

I love this compressor and it has its place with a kinda cool easy-going FET tone without being too extreme. If you want FET all the way; definitely go for an original 1176 or a 1176 clone; but if you want something a lot more smooth with just a little bit of FET tone and a unit that is a more than a one trick pony; the daking FET III won't disappoint you nor break your wallet. Additionally, as can be seen with a lot of these new stereo/dual mono units there is a variable stereo linking which can be used to varying degrees very well based upon the audio source you are using and sonically creates something unique. cool feature.

On a side note; the external power supply is the worst part of the unit. I understand it saves on costs and brings the cost of the unit down and hypothetically reduces possible interference with RF signals; but it is a bit annoying and kinda cheap Imo. Mine came shipped to me (second hand with only a few hours of use) and the external power supply had a pinched ground wire in it that was creating a lot of hum. Luckily I was able to quick fix it with electrical tape and a little bit rearranging of the internal wires; but is still found it cheap.

Overall, I think this is a damn good stereo/dual mono compressor for the $1000 price tag if you can find one used. Super solid and good looking and pretty musical piece.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Daking FET III
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search