The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure 300 ribbon microphone

Shure Model 300

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A vintage ribbon microphone with good looks and great sound

25th December 2011

Shure Model 300 by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure 300 ribbon microphone

This vintage ribbon microphone is often overlooked when classic ribbons are discussed. It has a typical figure 8 pattern, bass rolloff switch, and 3 way impedance selector.

The smooth, detailed, yet not overly bright response is what one looks for in a good ribbon. It imparts a musical "roundness" to the sound without exaggerating the low end or sounding excessively dark - it is my favorite microphone for taming the harshness and sibilance in my vocals while still retaining a clear, detailed sound. It is also excellent on acoustic guitar, other stringed instruments, and room mic applications. Like all ribbons you need to take care with the element and don't apply phantom power. Since the output is low (typical of most ribbons) it requires a quiet preamp with good gain. It works fine into the preamps in my Soundcraft DC2020 console, but requires the gain to be maxed.

Since it isn't one of the popular, excessively publicized mics like the classic RCA and Coles mics you can sometimes still pick one up at a reasonable price.

Impedance selections: 38 and 150 ohms and "High Impedanmce" for use with all amplifiers

Bass rolloff switch

Built in vibration isolator and swivel mount

40Hz-15kHz

Symmetrical pattern (suitable for M-S arrays)

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search