The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Massive Passive

Manley Labs Massive Passive

4.45 4.45 out of 5, based on 9 Reviews

A Master EQ on steroids.

24th December 2011

Manley Labs Massive Passive by Toni-P

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Manley Massive Passive

The Manley Massive Passive is one of the most wanted Master EQ's in the world. And for a good reason. Creamy top end, well balanced mids, punchy low end, and tubes to die for.
This unit will take a dull mix to the next level and make it sound like it should within minutes, and speed these days is what its all about.

31st December 2011

Manley Labs Massive Passive by Oli P

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Manley Massive Passive

It's a one trick pony...it just makes things sound better.

I find it very simple to use...but that might be because I only expect it to behave like a passive EQ.

This eq produces sound that isn't there according to all you'r other eq's. It adds density and body...sheen and girth.

Get one!

3rd January 2012

Manley Labs Massive Passive by CC Studio

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Manley Massive Passive

When I was kitting out the studio first day I did allot of research on how best to spend the budget. I decided with my limited budget the best thing for me to do was to purchase a good computer, some decent mic pres and mic's and the icing on the cake would be some top outboard for comp//limit/eq. What more could I need?? Manley Manley Manley!
I invested in the Manley stereo variable limiter compressor... wooo..say no more...job done!
But the Manley Massive Passive has to be my pride and joy. Because i do not have a high end mixing console this give's me all the poshest high end eq I could possible want. After all you can only really eq one or two tracks of audio at a time when mixing and many will do their narrow eq cuts with a soft eq anyway so this will give you that extra creamy boosting and shaping you need for a professional finished sound. Having Manley gear in your arsenal can also attract work.. which is no bad thing when you need to pay for it.
If I can't make the repayments I'll be found hiding in the mountains with mine.heh

17th January 2012

Manley Labs Massive Passive by Trakworx

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Manley Massive Passive

I've had my Massive Passive (one of the first ones - serial # 006) for a long time now, and it will never leave me. 'Very special EQ for mastering, mixing and tracking. I can't resist mentioning that I actually named the thing. Manley had a "name our new EQ contest" in which I and another guy both submitted the name "Massive Passive". We're even mentioned in the manual!

Anyway, breaking it down:

Sound Quality - 10. I can't think of a single bad thing about the sound quality. The bottom end on this thing is unbelievable. It can turn a wimpy kick drum into Godzilla's footsteps. The mids are really smooth and creamy. Nice extended high shelves.

Ease of use - 8. There's a bit of a learning curve because there are just so many things it can do. The lack of labeling of decibels and bandwidth values makes repeatability harder (this is unavoidable due to the design), but if you let your ears guide you it's hard to make things sound bad.

Features - 10. So many great features. Every band is switchable to shelf or bell. Each individual band can be bypassed. It has both balanced XLR I/O with transformer outputs, and 1/4" unbalanced I/O with transformerless outputs, yielding sonic options. It has a ton of overlapping frequency choices.

Bang for buck - 8. It's expensive, but awesome.

Enjoy!

25th January 2012

Manley Labs Massive Passive by barforama

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Manley Massive Passive

Initial impression:
When I ordered my Massive Passive I had a long ongoing discussion with myself on weather I should buy the standard version or the pimpy 24 carat gold edition custom shop version - I ended up ordering the standard version to save the money (and then ordering the gold faceplate and chrome knob and installing them myself about two months after because I regretted my decision ) So for starters we now have the most pimped piece of equipment ever encountered my mankind, then what about the sounds?

In use:
Nothing does what the Mas Pas does. It kinda reacts like one would expect from a parametric equaliser - that is until you start twisting the bandwith knobs! Then it starts making funny slopes - and very interesting and cool sounding slopes! The low end is tight and with the addition of the high pass filter that extends down to 22Hz (if I recall correctly) you really have the option of clearing out the mess in the two lowest octaves. The mids are extremely smooth and very well defined and the high end is to die for. Many eq's, also expensive units, will sound harsh when boosting more than a couple of dB's. The Mas Pas, on the other hand, is extremely difficult to make sound harsh or in any way bad. It's a very powerful tool and it is very easy to use, but when you get used to it it'll reveal some very interesting features (in the lines of up the Pultec slopes and curves).
It is great on kicks, vocals, acoustic guitars, drum subs, bas, whole mixes, overheads, strings, synths......to tell you the truth; weather it is for buss processing, for single tracks in a mix or mastering, I really would not want to live with out this amazing huge 3 units beautybox.

Conclusion:
While I can not, like the reviewer before me, brag about naming the unit, I'll sing along on the same song he does; It's freakin' expensive, but it also freakin' awesome - BUY IT!

28th March 2012

Manley Labs Massive Passive by hadon

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Manley Massive Passive

well..this is simple the best sounding eq after the pultec emulation that I have EVER heard.every time I open this and start tweaking any track (or the master) I get goosebumps.No matter how hard you boost it it still sounds sweat .No harshness. The UA guys were so nice that even made two versions of this baby.One for mastering and one for every other use. from gentle treatment, to radical shaping.It works kind of different from the mainstream EQs but you will get it in no time as it has the simplest GUI that you can find (just like the original).Have I tried the original..? No...but who cares! this think sounds fantastic and I really trust all the UA developers and as far as I've read on many interviews from many TOP engineers that they use it (and have used the original hardware as well), it's as close as it can get ! But even if this wasn't the case....I don't give a f***. It still sounds fantastic!

Seriously... worth every penny !if you are a UA user and you haven't tried this one yet....do yourself a favor and download the demo NOW...!go! I'll wait
...and let me know if you can sleep at night without buying it.

8th April 2014

Manley Labs Massive Passive by TommyP123

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
Manley Massive Passive

The Manley Massive Passive is an incredible sounding EQ. The color that the tubes and circuits add to a mix are unparalleled, and can give a nice warmth to your sound. The cost is probably the only thing to consider when purchasing this awesome piece of gear. At over 5 grand, this EQ can potentially break the bank, but like every piece of gear, you get what you pay for. The Massive Passive also features your standard cut/boost, LPF/HPF, 4 bandwidth curves, and 44 frequencies to choose from. While this might not be the ideal unit for more "surgical" Eq'ing because of the color it adds, it is a truly incredible unit to give your mix some "analog" flavor. Truly an amazing Eq for mixing and mastering.

23rd April 2016

Manley Labs Massive Passive by Edmond Dantes

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Manley Massive Passive

This unit sounds like hi-quality music should sound. It gives a familiar "pro" tone to the sounds passing through it. Perhaps the amount of times engineers have reached for this box have accustomed our ears to the curves and the general sound of the unit. There is probably a reason so many industry leading professionals have purchased this and employed it.

I've found the best way to use this unit is to feed it a very well vertically balanced mix - almost bordering on bland or boring - and then to "go" for something. Add a high frequency boost, add a low - cut a mid - pick another featured frequency and go at it. Listen to all the frequencies and shape the EQ around the one that just sounds golden - there is always one.

Go subtle or go extreme - it sounds like your source and not an EQ unit.

Worth the dollars if you have the budget.

3 weeks ago

Manley Labs Massive Passive by Quipu

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Manley Massive Passive

This is the greatest product. Even without using the EQ settings, just running your audio through the Massive Passive makes you music and sound even better. The eq adjustments are very easy to use and are friendly to your audio.

The adjustments don't in any way add it's own color to your music. So, you can radically adjust the shape and balance of your music. I am a self-taught engineer and composer and the Massive EQ has been the greatest asset in my studio.
It always creates a musical result!

I gave 4 stars for Features because it seems to have limited controls, but it is really 5 stars as it makes EQing very intuitive and spontaneous and after using this kickass EQ for a long time, you realize that it can do limitless adjustments to music and sound.

Great for mixing, mastering, and sound design.
Wonderful, unequaled product. Very highly recommended.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Manley Massive Passive
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search