The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fostex PM 0.4 (MK I)

FOSTEX PM 0.4 (MK I)

2.65 2.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Entry level monitors with a very reasonable price tag (MK I is recently discontinued, thus the link in the review is for MK II)

22nd December 2011

FOSTEX PM 0.4 (MK I) by LauKeiding

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3

While a pair of Fostex' PM 0.4 active nearfield monitors might not necessarily be your final and last monitor purchase, chances are that a pair of those will stick with you for a long time, especially if you are just getting started with production, recording or mixing.

The price basically says is all, these aren't crème de la crème of nearfields monitors, but once you realise that, you also realise that these monitors give good value for your money. The sound is of course essential when you talk about good value concerning monitors, but these monitors being entry level do not offer detailed reproduction of the entire midrange spectrum, neutral top-end or a well-extended low-end, which are some of the commonly sought after qualities of studio monitors.

What you get with the PM 0.4 is a pair of monitors that sounds good enough. Good enough, and with a sufficient amount of detail, to allow you to do a decent sounding mix.

And that makes them ideal for basically anyone who's eager to get cracking with their DAW but is on a budget.

4th January 2012

FOSTEX PM 0.4 (MK I) by allof6foot6

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.25

I had been using a pair of passive Alesis Monitor I's with a Bryston 2B for several years previous, so the Fostex PM0.4's were my first move toward active monitors. I purchased a pair of these in mint used condition for $150. They are physically impressive - quite large and very heavy. I always used to associate weight with quality, but that didn't come true here.

The biggest problem with the Fostex's is that they are VERY noisy - lots of hiss and hum from both monitors at all volumes. I didn't realize how good I had it with my Alesis/Bryston combo! Mixing on the Fostex's was very challenging - mids and highs were mushy and indistinguishable, and the low mids were very colored by the driver itself. I have never experienced listener fatigue quicker than with the Fostex's.

The best asset of the Fostex's is that they will play very loudly. They'll be sufficient for dorm parties, but not for critical listening in any capacity. I got lucky and sold mine for the same money I paid for them. I would recommend that anyone looking for monitors at this price range check out several other manufacturers before taking the plunge on the Fostex's.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Fostex PM 0.4 (MK I)
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search