The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
United Minorities Ginko

United Minorities Ginko

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Sealed 1-way nearfield loudspeaker, detailed, dry, fast, unforgiving

21st December 2011

United Minorities Ginko by skellington

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

There are probably more impressive monitors in the market. These little (c. 19 cm high) are certainly not for impressing clients with a polished, "larger than life" sound. But what they are supposed and designed to do, they do very well.

These loudspeakers are very precise and very fast. Excellent impulse response and no phase issues due to crossovers etc.

At first the sound seems a bit "small" and you might think they exaggerate the 2k region but that is due to the comparison with other speakers that often are a tad laid back in that range.

The real wood enclosure is very stiff and sturdy in relation to the small volume; which, along with the unusual shape, helps to minimize unwanted resonances.

After 3+ years of use, I have grown very accustomed to these "little heroes" as one colleague used to call them. By the way, I only own the passive version without the LFE so far; so there is no bass really. But at 100 Hz, I do not sense any weakness at all.

Given the small size, they do sound amazingly full and you can, depending on genre, get a lot work done with them. Certainly not perfect for hiphop, dr&b or rock, but fans of acoustic music will like them. A double bass player instantly fell in love with them when he heard them at my place.

The LFE (with dedicated external power amp) is certainly interesting though the entire system is not exactly cheap. Then again, what's 4k € for a really serious monitoring setup?

Unfortunately, Ginko is mainly known in germany so not many in the U.S. will have heard (of) them.

Anyway, I love mine and am planning to get the LFE some day. In the meantime, I have gotten used to checking bass with different headphones since there really is no reasonable solution with a 3rd party subwoofer or such.

And yes, I do like the design :-)

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... United Minorities Ginko
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search