The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oktava MK220

Oktava MK-220

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

solid, darker sounding, multi-pattern mic, similar to the cardioid-only MK319

21st December 2011

Oktava MK-220 by gehauser

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Oktava MK220

The MK220 is a twin-diaphragm, transformer-coupled, multi-pattern microphone that is based largely on Oktava’s popular MK319 (cardioid-only). I have compared the MK220 (cardioid) to a stock MK319 and they sound very similar. The MK220 includes switches for pad (-10db), bass rolloff (about 4 db/octave below 600hz), and polar pattern (cardioid, fig 8, omni). In A/B tests, the MK220 is darker sounding than other condensers in its price range or below, but it is not nearly as dark as some ribbon mics I have compared it to, such as the AEA R84.

After using the MK220 for a year now, I find that I use it mainly on certain vocals where I need a not-so-edgy tone. I always try the MK220 when my AT4047 does not work on a particular voice, e.g., on voices (especially female) where the upper mids are too present with the AT4047. The frequency response of the MK220 is a near-inverse of that of the AT4047. The AT4047 has a boost centered at 6K hz, whereas the MK220 has a dip there. Also, the low end is boosted on the AT4047, where it is rolled off a bit on the MK220. The frequency curves for these 2 mics are very indicative of how the two microphones sound relative to each other.

The upper mids are detailed, so the mic works well for acoustic instruments.

You can buy the $75 Oktava shockmount for it, but this $25 mount works well :
QM-16 -17 Series Shock Mounts

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Oktava MK220
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search