The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Joe Meek JM27 Small Diaphragm Condenser

Joemeek JM27

1.5 1.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The JM27 is a small diaphragm condenser microphone with a fixed Cardioid pattern. Building on the tradition of classic studio microphones, we combined an FET pre-amplifier with transformer-balanced output resulting in a low noise, high SPL mic - perfect for a variety of studio applications.

17th December 2011

Joemeek JM27 by NorseHorse

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2

The JM27 is one of the few mics I ever sold. It was colored, but not in a good way. It was not clean, clear, detailed, or vibey in a way that inspires you when you turn up the fader. Instead, the sound is veiled.

Having owned and used affordable cardioid condensers like MXL 990s, MXL 993s, Rode NT5s, and Sontronics STC-1s, I can confidently recommend them all above the JM27s.

The Joe Meek JM27 is the AKG C1000 of England. tutt

In the interest of reaching two hundred words, I would like to add that they came in a case (nice), with a stereo bar (nice), and with shockmounts (nice). These are cheap, but are still a better deal than the actual mics themselves. At the very least, you could sell the JM27s but keep the accessories for other mics. I repurposed the box to send two pieces of wood in the mail. The mics themselves seem decently built, so I guess that goes in their favor. The elastic on the shockmounts isn't that great. One positive experience – I recorded a bell choir with these mics. It sounded very interesting and since most people don't really listen to bell choirs, they couldn't tell that it was a poor representation of the ensemble.

20th December 2011

Joemeek JM27 by taturana

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1

Definitely one of the worst mics i ever bought, including the radio shacks of various kinds i had when i was a kid..... i sold mine too,it was pitch black dark, colored in a bad way ( like if the capsule was made of plastic, thick plastic)

...and not adept of high SPL levels, so useless for me on percussion or such

.. some times you do get what you pay for....

i never got any desired result on any instrument with this...i am certain that if used it as a hammer it might work...

keep away! run from it like the plague!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Joe Meek JM27 Small Diaphragm Condenser
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search