The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 6.5x14 snare drum

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Do yourself a favor and check this out!!

17th December 2011

by drastic

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

About a year and a half ago I had a drummer come in to record some drum tracks. After checking out the cymbals he brought in which were basically trashed and a pedal that looked like it had lived most of its life outdoors, I had little hope that anything else he brought in would be worth a darn. He took his snare out and I really wasn't paying attention to brand/type, I just continued setting up mics. After he was setup, I sat down to start tuning the kit. Took a whack at the snare and HOLY CRAP DID IT SOUND AWESOME!!! Looked at the badge and was really surprised it was a Mapex Black Panther.

I'm a drummer, so I'm very familiar with all the major brands/models, but hadn't heard many glowing reviews of Mapex kits, so I never really tried them out. I own numerous snares. Current arsenal includes a 70's Ludwig supraphonic, pork pie brass, acrolite, 5 or 6 different wood snares but yet this Black Panther just blew me away. About a week later I went down to my local drum shop and picked one up. Since then it's made its way onto every record I've done and I can't see that changing.

Sound wise it kind of reminds me of a mix of a metal and wood snare. Has the crack of a metal snare but the warmth of a wood snare if that makes any sense. Also has dual strainer sensitivity so you can really dial in the bottom head. I see these now and then fairly cheap secondhand. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you're in the market for a snare. Love it!!

Specs are as follows:

BP 14x6.5 SD Phosphor Bronze

Shell Thickness: 1.2mm

Shell Finish: Natural Polished Bronze

Hoops: 2.3mm Powerhoops

Hoop Finish: Black Chrome

Snare: 20-strand snappy

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 6.5x14 snare drum
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search